Q. How can we manage the pain during wisdom teeth eruption?

Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Aug 21, 2018

I am 18 years old. My wisdom teeth are erupting. I have pain in my back of the mouth on my gums. How long does it take for them to come out finally? And how can I deal with this pain? I was awake for three nights. It is keeping me awake at night. It is causing a lot of pain. Last time, I visited my dentist and did a filling. Please help me if possible.

#

I have gone through your query. The time taken for the eruption of the wisdom tooth is not guaranteed. A clinical examination with an OPG X-ray is required to check the status and position of teeth. If it is found with enough space and aligned correctly, it will come out. Or else, it is better to have removal of the teeth.

Since you have pain in gums, I would suggest doing lukewarm salt water gargling. You can take Aceclofenac 100 mg after food twice a day only if you have severe pain. If you have acidity, then take Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily half an hour before a meal. If you are taking pain medication continuously, it can cause or aggravate acidity. Antibiotics can be taken if you have lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes below jaw) or difficulty in mouth opening or severe pain at night or some other severe symptom. In that case, you can take Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice daily for five days after food. These medicines will give you symptomatic relief. If you have an allergy to any of the medications mentioned above, do not take them. Consult back here or with your local dentist for the medicines.

You might require operculectomy (removal of gums covering the erupting tooth) if the tooth is favorable for the eruption but you have recurrent inflammation of the gums covering that tooth, to guide and provide space for the tooth to erupt. It is done after the examination or picture and X-ray assessment.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

When is a Wisdom Tooth Removal Necessary?

Article Overview: Some conditions require you to get your wisdom tooth extracted. This article discusses all the possible causes that make wisdom tooth extraction necessary. Read Article

What is Wisdom Tooth? Wisdom teeth are the third/last molar teeth that erupts in oral cavity at or after the age of 18 years.There will be 4 wisdom teeth generally one each on all 4 dental corners. Problems Related to Wisdom Teeth 1.Impaction: Because wisdom teeth are the last teeth to erupt i...  Read Article

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »