Q. After wisdom tooth removal, stitches are gone but there is a big hole. Is that normal?

Dr. Subha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I had my wisdom tooth removed about two weeks ago and they had put dissolvable stitches. When I looked into my mouth today, the stitches are gone and there is a big hole there. Is that normal?

#

Wisdom tooth removal is a surgical procedure that requires suturing. Suturing can be done with resorbable (dissolvable) or non-resorbable materials.

Yours is the dissolvable type as you have mentioned. The advantages of this type of suturing are:

• They resorb on their own after two to three weeks.
  • You need not visit the dentist for the sake of suture removal.
  • Non-resorbable ones start hurting the surrounding tissues once the wound shrinks. This does not happen with the resorbable ones.

So, you do not have to worry that your stitches are missing. It is very normal. Regarding the big hole that you have mentioned:

• The entire wisdom tooth that was deep inside the jaw bone has been taken out during surgery. Therefore, the space in which the tooth was present will now be empty. This causes the big hole in the jaw bone.
  • This space will close on its own by slow bone formation. This takes about a month's time.

So, you need not have to worry.

Until then follow these steps:

• Do not touch the surgical site with a finger, tongue or toothpick.
  • Do not brush hardly in that area.
  • But, regular brushing and the use of mouthwash is necessary.
  • Make sure food particles do not get stuck in the surgical site.

Kindly follow up for further clarifications with a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|