Q. Why is there bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?

Dr. Gaurav Pandey
Published on Nov 30, 2018

Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I do not eat anything or drink until after we meet up. I do not understand what is going on. I do all that I can to have fresh breath why am I not getting no benefits out of it? I am so frustrated. This issue is there for the past one month.

#

You do not need to be frustrated. It is very common. There are various factors affecting your bad breath. You can try these things to improve your oral hygiene. Avoid foods and beverages that cause bad breath, eat more fruits and vegetables, take sufficient amount of water, try sugar-free gum if your mouth tends to get dry. Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Make sure to reach the gum line as well as tooth surfaces. Floss at least once a day. Rinse with a mouthwash twice a day. If you do not like the odor of your mouthwash you could change its flavor. Sometimes when we are empty stomach for a long time, bad breath still comes out of the mouth. Our digestive system also affects our breath, so take care of your digestion. Have a great time.

Is chewing toothpicks bad for you?

Query: Hello doctor, Are birchwood toothpicks hard enough to cause damage to tooth enamel? Do they cause damage to the teeth in any way? I have pored over the internet for the answer to this question, with many dentists recommending that toothpicks should not be used or chewed on, or saying that it can cau...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We use toothpicks in the anatomical spaces present between the teeth. The spaces are called as embrasures. While you use the toothpick, you lacerate the gingival tissue that covers those spaces (the cone-shaped gingiva present between the teeth) that results in the cr...  Read Full

I swallowed Povidone iodine mouthwash by mistake. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old. I drank Povidone-iodine germicide gargle 10 ml in the morning and 10 ml in the afternoon. Will it affect my health as I am suffering from gastritis? I am also taking other medicines for acid reflux and my other question is that I feel a burning sensation in my left...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Betadine (Povidone-Iodine 10 %) has been used as an external disinfectant prior to surgery for years. The active antimicrobial agent is iodine and is necessary for thyroid hormone synthesis. Excess iodine will be filtered out by the normal kidneys. Povidone is a common...  Read Full

What can be done for bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a bad breath problem. I really feel a bad breath in my mouth when I wake up early in the morning.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern. There are two main general reasons for halitosis (bad breath) related to oral cavity or teeth and the second one is related to the stomach. For oral cavity related you need to check for any cavity, accumulat...  Read Full