Q. I have severe pain after wisdom teeth removal. Why?

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

I had just gotten all four of my wisdom teeth taken out a few days back and I have bad toothaches on my left lower jaw. I have done everything. I am supposed to get the right side done too. I have been rinsing my mouth out and have not been aggressive with it or spitting it out. I have been brushing my teeth gently. I do not know why I have pain in just that one area. All the other sides are fine.

#

Post-extraction pain for the injury site is normal for a couple of days. The pain if persists after 3 to 4 days can be due to many reasons including some infections also. It may be due to the large unhealed wound because the third molar generally requires a surgical intervention or it may be because of a dry socket (but that is highly unlikely as you mentioned you have followed the instructions properly, but it cannot be ruled out completely). I would like you to have a visit to the same dentist for the said tooth socket in order to rule out ay other cause. I would also advise you to follow the same instructions given by the dentist after the teeth removal for the coming five days again. Maintain good oral hygiene and avoid touching the injury site with finger or tongue.

|