Q. Is it normal to have numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense in my tongue back. Please advice.

#

If the tongue feels numb even after a day, then you may have a condition called paresthesia. It occurs when the injection injures the nerves. and such numbness can remain for a week or two, sometimes even for a month. But it will go away as the nerves heal slowly. Take capsule Becosules (Vitamin B1 and B2) once daily for 15 days. But it is better if you go back to your dentist to show him first.

I have visited my dentist today. He said that it is a side effect of wisdom tooth extraction and it will take around 4 to 6 weeks.

#

Permanent loss is very rare, so do not worry about it. Yes, it is a side effect as sometimes the injection directly injures the nerves there. In the usual case, it will go away in a month or so. Take the multivitamin which I have suggested for 15 days and continue after that for 15 days more if needed. Do not worry it will go away as the area heals completely.

|