Q. Is it normal to have numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Oct 23, 2018

My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense in my tongue back. Please advice.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

If the tongue feels numb even after a day, then you may have a condition called paresthesia. It occurs when the injection injures the nerves. and such numbness can remain for a week or two, sometimes even for a month. But it will go away as the nerves heal slowly. Take capsule Becosules (Vitamin B1 and B2) once daily for 15 days. But it is better if you go back to your dentist to show him first.

I have visited my dentist today. He said that it is a side effect of wisdom tooth extraction and it will take around 4 to 6 weeks.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

Permanent loss is very rare, so do not worry about it. Yes, it is a side effect as sometimes the injection directly injures the nerves there. In the usual case, it will go away in a month or so. Take the multivitamin which I have suggested for 15 days and continue after that for 15 days more if needed. Do not worry it will go away as the area heals completely.

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full »

Why is there severe pain with bad taste after wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. I got five teeth extracted, three of them being impacted wisdom teeth, before a week. My jaw is killing me. I have this nasty taste in my mouth. My holes look fine with blood clot present. What could be wrong? I cannot keep taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol, it is making...  Read Full »

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full »