Q. There is reduced mouth opening after wisdom tooth removal. Why?

Dr. Naseer Bhat
Published on Oct 27, 2018

I was put to sleep and had a surgery on all my wisdom teeth to have them removed. It has been three weeks since surgery and I can only put two fingers in my mouth. My bottom wisdom teeth were impacted in my gums and bone that is why it had to be surgically removed. What can I do to get my mouth to open wider? I cannot eat a burger.

Dr. Naseer Bhat

Dentistry
#

As per your query, I have gone through it and I came to a provisional diagnosis of trismus (inability to open mouth). This is the diagnosis based on your query and it may not be right. You just need to visit the dentist who removed your molars and you need to go through a clinical examination for your diagnosis. If this might be the case then you need to go through different type of physiotherapy exercises according to the severity of trismus. The cause for trismus is the injury to a muscle or muscle sheath. It is treatable. You need not worry about it.

Physiotherapy exercise, heat therapy, muscle relaxant Benzodiazepine.

| 

Is IV sedation the right type of anesthesia for wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor,I am getting my wisdom teeth out and was told I will be under IV sedation, but I did not sign a consent to that, just anesthesia. So, I called and asked them about it. They said I will be asleep, but if they ask me to raise my hand, I will be able to do that. What on earth are they givi...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »

I have pain on the left side of the jaw. Is it due to an impacted tooth or a tooth with large filling?

Query: Hi doctor, Approximately six weeks ago, I got niggling wisdom teeth pain. The left top and bottom wisdom teeth were breaking through the gums. I got sudden pain which was severe in intensity around the back of my mouth and the lower left side. It got aggravated especially on chewing and radiating to...  Read Full »