Q. There is reduced mouth opening after wisdom tooth removal. Why?

Dr. Naseer Bhat

I was put to sleep and had a surgery on all my wisdom teeth to have them removed. It has been three weeks since surgery and I can only put two fingers in my mouth. My bottom wisdom teeth were impacted in my gums and bone that is why it had to be surgically removed. What can I do to get my mouth to open wider? I cannot eat a burger.

#

As per your query, I have gone through it and I came to a provisional diagnosis of trismus (inability to open mouth). This is the diagnosis based on your query and it may not be right. You just need to visit the dentist who removed your molars and you need to go through a clinical examination for your diagnosis. If this might be the case then you need to go through different type of physiotherapy exercises according to the severity of trismus. The cause for trismus is the injury to a muscle or muscle sheath. It is treatable. You need not worry about it.

Physiotherapy exercise, heat therapy, muscle relaxant Benzodiazepine.

|