Q. Is it safe for me to use anesthesia if I have sinus issues?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

My question is whether or not it is safe for me to use anesthesia to fall asleep while having all four of my wisdom teeth removed. I am a quiet person and did not ask many questions during my consultation. I cannot breathe very easily through my nose because I have some sort of sinus issues and it is worse when I am laying down flat on my back. I wrote down that I had sinus issues on the papers I filled out but half the time they do not look at them. I know i should have brought it up at the consultation but I was shy and nervous about the whole thing. They said they cannot even do the surgery if I have a cold. Can they do anesthesia if I have sinus issues? I would prefer to be knocked out when they take my teeth out but I am even more worried about not being able to breathe through my nose.

As of right now, I am scheduled to have my wisdom teeth taken out at a hospital with many assistants who will monitor everything while the surgeon works. They also said they would be putting a tube down my throat in case I need help breathing. That makes me even more worried because I will not be able to breathe through my nose and my throat unless the people monitoring me are breathing for me the entire time during the operation. That worries me. My question is: Should I be taking anesthesia to go to sleep if I have difficulty breathing through my nose? I am not worried about the surgery itself but being given anesthesia and not being able to breathe once they give it to me freaks me out because of my sinus issues. If I did not have sinus issues I would not be worried so much.

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiology General Practitioner
#

You do not have to worry at all. There will be people concerned by you. Having a sinus issue is not a contraindication for anesthesia. You can have sedation supplemented with local anesthetics.

In case you need endotracheal intubation, that will be safer for you because your nasal passage will be bypassed and you can be totally knocked off which is called general anesthesia. This will be done by a trained anesthesiologist. So, do not worry at all and leave your worries on your anesthesiologist.

You will do absolutely fine. Wish you all the luck.

For more information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

|