Q. Will decay in wisdom tooth cause recurrent sore throat and pain on chewing foods?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 29, 2020

I have had a recurrent sore throat for which I am taking Montair FX and had courses of antibiotics. I had no fever so I was not recommended COVID test. The reason was given as reflux so I started the medicine and raised my bed. However, for the last 10-15 days or so I am having severe sensitivity or more of pain and burning radiating from the last lower wisdom teeth to the central teeth.

Dentist told that the left corner wisdom tooth, as well as upper is spoilt however, the root canal is not possible and I have to pull along till extraction is required. But I feel tremendous pain and burning while chewing even if food is not spicy. I have been given Abactim 250, a pain killer and Orawsys paste however the problem persists.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

The prescription contains only a multivitamin capsule (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need antibiotics like Amoxicillin-CV 625 mg three times a day for a week along with a strong painkiller. Get the decayed wisdom teeth extracted as it is better to remove them than try saving it. Most probably, removal of the completely decayed wisdom tooth will solve most of your problems.

Wisdom tooth infection can cause pain until the front teeth on that side of face along with throat infection, headache, or fever too sometimes. Please attach clear pictures of wisdom tooth if possible or x-rays if you have it with them.

|