Q. What can cause frequent throat infection?

I used to get throat infection whenever I drink cold water. Due to weather also drinking water gets cold. Even that leads to throat infection. What measure shall I take to protect myself from throat infection?

#

Many patients come to me with this complaint of frequent sore throat. First I would say do not worry about this.

We must evaluate if there is any pathogenic organism residing in the throat and causing recurrent infections. For the same a throat swab (culture and sensitivity) test is required based on which we can proceed further treatment.

If tonsils are the foci of infection they frequently enlarge and cause obstructive symptoms like difficulty in swallowing, pain while swallowing and also bad smell from mouth.

A physical examination by an otolaryngologist can easily diagnose tonsillar enlargement. Rather you can send me a selfie with open mouth taking care the back of throat is visible and tongue does not obstruct the view.

Frequently the condition can be allergic when it does not result in pain and pus but causes frequent itching, throat discomfort and nasal discharge and sneezing. On the inflamed mucosa secondarily bacteria can multiply and produce an infection.

Throat infection can cause pain and infection in the ear due to continuity with ear through the eustachian tube. Eustachian tube which serves to maintain equal pressure on both sides of eardrum and drain ear secretions can result in ear pain and fullness when blocked.

As general precautions in addition to salt water gargles, take steam inhalation also. During throat pain, use Chlorhexidine gargles. Mix 5 mL Chlorhexidine in plain water and gargle the throat and spit out the fluid.

Also let us know if you have any additional symptoms like cough, vomiting, fever, headache, giddiness, etc., which can help us to make more decisive diagnosis. Also let us know about your habits and please mention any medication you are taking for diabetes or hypertension, etc.

1. Throat swab.
2. Total blood count.

1. Allergic rhinopharyngitis.
2. Chronic pharyngitis.
3. Chronic tonsillopharyngitis.

Revert back with the photo of throat to an ENT otolaryngologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|