Q. My left upper wisdom tooth is infected. Is it likely to cause Ludwig's syndrome?

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah
Published on Oct 26, 2019

I heard that Pericoronitis could cause Ludwig syndrome, which can interfere with breathing. I heard this happens when the lower wisdom tooth is infected. Can this still happen if the upper wisdom tooth is infected? My upper left wisdom tooth is infected. However, I am treating it with antibiotics and warm saltwater.

#

I can understand your concern regarding dental health.

First of all, I would like to tell you that Ludwig's angina is not associated with the infection of the upper wisdom tooth. It is associated with infection or pericoronitis of lower partially erupted wisdom tooth. So, if you are having pain in partially erupted lower tooth, then consult an oral surgeon for according advice. And it is good that you are taking care of your upper infected teeth by taking antibiotics and warm saltwater. But, this is not enough for this type of infection. You must consult your dentist to check the condition of the present infection and an x-ray investigation of the same tooth to rule out the spread of infection to the end of the root and for the needful treatment and also for antibiotics dosage. I hope this helps.

X-ray of upper infected wisdom tooth.

What causes bad breath after wisdom teeth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. I am not in much pain but I have a horrible taste in my mouth and my breath is horrible. I have brushed my teeth twice a day, I use a salt water rinse like 15 times a day. And I use an alcohol-free mouth wash. I cannot tell if I have an infection ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you do not have pain or fever or any other major symptoms, there is nothing much to freak about. Coming on to the bad taste and bad odor, it could be due to any deposits in the socket or anywhere else in the mouth. Even a dry mouth can cause it. But if you feel i...  Read Full

My wisdom tooth is hurting with a flap covering the tooth. Should I get it removed?

Query: Hello doctor, My wisdom teeth is hurting. There is a big flap covering the tooth, and I think food is stuck in there. Should I get this one removed?  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is called pericoronitis. Food gets trapped under the gums. You need to send in pictures and x-ray (orthopantomogram) for a conclusive diagnosis. Two things can be done. 1. At home, you can use a syringe with clean boiled or distilled water or with Betadine (dilut...  Read Full