Q. How to cure the pain in my big toe due to an injury?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I had hurt my big toe against something, and the tip of the big toe pains, when I touch it. Would you please suggest a treatment so that I can get rid of the pain?

#

I have read your query, and I can understand your concern.

I saw the pictures you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). There is a little gap on the medial side of the toe between toenail and skin, along with reddish-brown discoloration. Can you answer the following questions in detail to help you better?

1) When did you get hurt?

2) Is it infected?

3) Do you have any history of antibiotic allergies?

4) Are you diabetic?

5) Are you taking any medication for any illness?

I would suggest you the following:

1) Tablet Acenac SP (Aceclofenac 100 mg, Paracetamol 325 mg, and Serratiopeptidase 15 mg) twice a day after food for three to five days.

2) Tablet Omeprazole if there is the problem of gas formation, as pain killers can cause gas formation in some individuals.

3) Clean the wound with lukewarm water and dry it with a clean, sterile gauze piece.

4) I do not see any pus or infection foci. If it is present, you have to take an antibiotic.

5) Loosely cover with sterile gauze piece and Betadine (Povidone-iodine) ointment and change it once a day.

6) Take precautions to prevent any further hurting of the wounded site.

Good morning Dr,

Sorry for my late reply.

Actually I had responded to your query immediately but the payment seems to have gone to my wallet and was informed by your admin just now.

As far as my toenail is concerned it has improved but not completely.

I shouldn't use water in that region I suppose.

pls confirm.

Shall I continue the same treatment, betadine + bandage?

I am sharing the pic of my toe nail.

pls advise.

Sincerely,
Kumuda
# Good noon mam.
No problem I try always to follow up my patient to whom I replied.
I saw the pic you have attached.
I compared with earlier pic and I can see improvement. The gap between medial side of toenail and skin is nearly filled.
There is yellowish tinge of the skin probably due to betadine ointment.
The skin is dry and not wet, no sign of infection I could see there. Still brown discoloration below toenail is there and expected to clear in upcoming time.
There is progression in healing and yet to heal completely. Total 9 days has elapsed and here it is.

Yes restrict with water contact and dry it with clean piece of cloth or preferably with gauze piece.

Do you get pain in the toe when it is just resting or pain on pressing from side? or no pain at all or very mild?
You took Acenac SP for how many days?
Any wound infection sign like increased warmth, pus discharge on pressing, pain while toe is resting?
Do you have diabetes?
Continue betadine with gauze piece bandage over it and change in a similar manner.
If you find any sign of infection (in pic I can see only, I can't palpate it) add neosporin antibiotic cream for better coverage of infection.
Avoid contact with water whereever possible.
Do reply to above questions if necessary.
Take care mam.
Thanks.

|