Q. How to cure the pain in my big toe due to an injury?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I had hurt my big toe against something, and the tip of the big toe pains, when I touch it. Would you please suggest a treatment so that I can get rid of the pain?

#

I have read your query, and I can understand your concern.

I saw the pictures you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). There is a little gap on the medial side of the toe between toenail and skin, along with reddish-brown discoloration. Can you answer the following questions in detail to help you better?

1) When did you get hurt?

2) Is it infected?

3) Do you have any history of antibiotic allergies?

4) Are you diabetic?

5) Are you taking any medication for any illness?

I would suggest you the following:

1) Tablet Acenac SP (Aceclofenac 100 mg, Paracetamol 325 mg, and Serratiopeptidase 15 mg) twice a day after food for three to five days.

2) Tablet Omeprazole if there is the problem of gas formation, as pain killers can cause gas formation in some individuals.

3) Clean the wound with lukewarm water and dry it with a clean, sterile gauze piece.

4) I do not see any pus or infection foci. If it is present, you have to take an antibiotic.

5) Loosely cover with sterile gauze piece and Betadine (Povidone-iodine) ointment and change it once a day.

6) Take precautions to prevent any further hurting of the wounded site.

As far as my toenail is concerned, it has improved but not completely.

I should not use water in the affected region I suppose. Please confirm this.

Shall I continue the same treatment, that is Betadine ointment and bandage?

I am sharing a picture of my toenail.

Please advise.

#

No problem, I always try to follow up with my patients.

I saw the pictures you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

I compared them with the previous pictures, and I can see the improvement.

The gap between the medial side of the toenail and skin is nearly filled.

There is a yellowish tinge of the skin probably due to the application of Betadine ointment.

The skin is dry, and not wet. I can see there is no sign of infection. A brown discoloration below the toenail is there and it is expected to get clear in the upcoming time.

There is a progression in healing, though it is yet to heal completely. Total nine days have elapsed and here it is.

Yes, avoid contact with water and dry the affected area with a clean piece of cloth, or preferably with a gauze piece.

I have the following questions:

1. Do you get pain in the toe on pressing from the side or when resting, or no pain at all, or very mild pain?
  2. For how many days did you take the tablet Acenac SP (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase)?
  3. Is there any wound or sign of infection like increased warmth, pus discharge on pressing, or pain while the toe is resting?
  4. Do you have diabetes?

Continue bandage with gauze piece and Betadine (Povidone-iodine) ointment over the wound and change in a similar manner.

If you find any signs of infection then add Neosporin (Neomycin, Bacitracin, and Polymyxin B) antibiotic ointment for better coverage of infection.

Avoid contact with water wherever possible.

Do reply to the above questions if necessary.

Take care.

Thanks.

|