Q. I think I have skin necrosis after a cyst removal surgery. Or is it just infection?

Dr. Kakkar

I got a cyst removed from my breast and now I think I have skin necrosis. It seemed to be healing fine but I thought the stitches dissolved a bit soon. First, I had a huge bruise, then I got a scab off to the side of the incision. The scab went away within a couple days and skin seems to be disappearing now. I have about a 1 inch by 1/2 inch by 1/2 mm deep spot with no skin but instead a yellow film. There is no apparent discharge but appears to be some on band-aid every time I change it. It is itchy, hurts with pressure, and the spot seems to be getting bigger. Does it sound like necrosis or just infection? I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow but, I have anxiety and I just want an immediate opinion to tide me over.

#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems like the wound has got infected. I would suggest a course of an oral antibiotic either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin for a week or 10 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine with their consent.

In addition, I suggest that you clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide to remove all the slough and dead tissue following which you may use a topical antibiotic such as Neosporin (Neomycin) ointment or Mupirocin ointment, twice daily. Regards.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|