Q. My diabetic father had heart block and underwent surgery, the wound has not healed. What to do?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
Published on Oct 09, 2019

My father is diabetic and had MI with a heart block. He underwent CABG surgery and sternal debridement before three years. The wound has not healed still now. He is on Meropenem 1000 mg medication, and Colistimethate Sodium is also being used. Please help.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

As your father is diabetic, he has low immunity against infection. Wound healing may take some time. Deep sternal wounds are very common after CABG (Coronary artery bypass grafting).

Both antibiotics he is using are very powerful. If they are not effective, then I would advise you to stop antibiotics for three days and do a wound culture and sensitivity test. This will show the type of microbes present and the antibiotic sensitive to it. Have the evidence and treat it accordingly.

Take other general measures like:

Keeping the wound clean and dry.

Apply povidone iodine solution daily.

Remove the cloth that rubs against the wound and keep the patient's environment clean.

I have a swelling after my ACL reconstruction surgery. What is the management?

Query: Hello doctor,I had the ACL reconstruction surgery of my right knee before five years. At the same time, the medial meniscus was completely repaired and lateral meniscus partially repaired. After some time doctor opened my bandage and the knee was healed nicely. I had been advised to do some physical...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly were you running fever three weeks post-surgery? Secondly, your first ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) were raised, but within my comfort zone as post-surgery, they will usually be built up to six weeks to three months. The se...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article