Q. My diabetic father had heart block and underwent surgery, the wound has not healed. What to do?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
Published on Oct 09, 2019

My father is diabetic and had MI with a heart block. He underwent CABG surgery and sternal debridement before three years. The wound has not healed still now. He is on Meropenem 1000 mg medication, and Colistimethate Sodium is also being used. Please help.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

As your father is diabetic, he has low immunity against infection. Wound healing may take some time. Deep sternal wounds are very common after CABG (Coronary artery bypass grafting).

Both antibiotics he is using are very powerful. If they are not effective, then I would advise you to stop antibiotics for three days and do a wound culture and sensitivity test. This will show the type of microbes present and the antibiotic sensitive to it. Have the evidence and treat it accordingly.

Take other general measures like:

Keeping the wound clean and dry.

Apply povidone iodine solution daily.

Remove the cloth that rubs against the wound and keep the patient's environment clean.

Can Ibuprofen lower the platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a hair transplant with 1500 grafts. That means about 3500 1 mm holes were made in my neck area (beard) and scalp and formed crusts and healed. Following my transplant (30 hours later), I had a normal white blood count but platelets were very low (60000), after one week my platel...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article