Q. I am getting severe and consistent pain in the abdomen. What could be wrong?

Dr. Sharmila Naik
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2021

I am 18 years old. My height is 5'9", and weight is 130 lbs. I am not due my period anytime soon, and I am on birth control. For the past few days, I have been getting severe pains in the bottom of my abdomen. It started a few days ago with sharp pains on the right side just up a bit. By yesterday night, it moved down to where period cramps usually are. They are not cramps, but they do feel like cramps. It is present consistently and sore to press on my stomach on the both sides. I do not have a fever, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation. What could be wrong?

#

There could be ureteric calculus if the pain is sharp and shooting or a renal stone dislodged from the place. You need to get an ultrasound done to rule out any pathology.

It needs further physical examination as it could just even be a muscular spasm, which happens if there is a muscle pull during day-to-day activity or exercise.

There could be an ovarian cyst as the site you specified looks near to the ovaries, but less likely as you are on a birth control pill.

More likely there could just be a gas problem as it is the commonest reason for pain there.

I presume passing urine is not an issue. Please visit a doctor for a prescription of an antispasmodic tablet.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|