Q. I have severe stomach and back pain at the same time. Can you Suggest any quick remedy?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2019

I have severe stomach and back pain at the same time. Suggest some quick remedy.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Severe pain in abdomen radiating to the back might be due to many conditions which require evaluation.

Problems that might cause the stomach and back pain, all the possible reasons,

• Due to Acidity:- It is important to know if you have gastritis which was diagnosed earlier or if your meal timings are not proper. In this case the pain in abdomen might be due to acidity. Usually taking antacid formation medicine like Pantoprazole 40 mg on empty stomach reduces this pain. Please visit your doctor and they will give you a prescription of Pantoprazole if required and take in recommended dose.
  • Kidney Stones:- If the pain is along the sides and going down along the back then it might be related to kidney stones. This requires confirmation with ultrasound scan followed by treatment.
  • Pancreatitis:- Pancreatitis might also cause this kind of pain and your doctor might suspect only after clinical examination. There are particular blood tests to be done if pancreatitis is suspected.
  • Small intestinal infection:- Small intestinal infection is also an important cause for this type of pain anywhere in the abdomen.

For spasmodic pain you can take antispasmodic medicine like Spasmonil plus (Dicyclomine hydrochloride and Mefenamic acid). This has to be taken twice daily for pain that might be a spasm. This should reduce any spasmodic pain that you are having. Once pain is stable then please consult your doctor and get examined clinically. If required the doctor might ask for an ultrasound scan abdomen to be done to know the cause.

Above mentioned causes are the commonest and there are many other conditions which might cause a similar pain. Clinical examination and investigations are important.

| 

Related Video

Frequently Asked Questions

1.

What causes stomach and back pain at the same time in females?

The common causes of pain in the back and abdomen at the same time in females alone are:
Ectopic pregnancy
Pelvic inflammatory disease
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
Endometriosis
Pregnancy
Ovarian cysts
Ovarian cancer

2.

What causes stomach and back pain at the same time in males?

The common causes of pain in the back and abdomen at the same time in males alone are:
Prostatitis
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
Orchitis
Epididymitis

3.

What are the common causes of a swollen stomach and back pain?

The common causes of pain in the back and abdomen at the same time in both males and females are:
Irritable bowel syndrome
Gallstones
Kidney stones
Appendicitis
Acidity
Urinary tract infection (UTI)
Celiac disease
Fibromyalgia

4.

What are the causes of lower back pain?

The common causes of lower back pain are muscle strains, sciatica, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, kyphosis, arthritis, spondylitis, spondylosis, fibromyalgia, kidney problems, bladder problems, and improper posture. In females, lower back pain can be caused due to endometriosis, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, and uterine cancer.

5.

What are the common causes of upper back pain?

The upper back is made of the thoracic spine and is the area between the base of the neck and the bottom of the ribcage. The common causes of upper back pain are:
Poor posture
Muscle strain
Traumatic injury
Herniated disc
Nerve compression
Osteoarthritis
Myofascial pain
Spinal infection
Lung cancer

6.

What are the treatment options for back pain?

Depending on the type of back pain you have, the following are the available treatment options.
Medications like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants, and injectable painkillers
Physical therapy
Surgical procedures to relieve nerve compressions and to correct structural problems
Alternative treatment like chiropractic manipulation, acupuncture, TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), massage, and yoga.

7.

What are the ways to prevent lower back pain?

Keep your body weight under check.
Do stretching exercises to keep the back muscles fit and flexible.
Maintain good posture while sitting.
Get the underlying health condition treated if any.
Avoid frequent bending and twisting.

8.

How can upper back pain be prevented?

Stretch the muscles of the back and shoulder
Do back strengthening exercises
Maintain a good weight
Maintain good posture while sitting
Avoid sleeping on your stomach
Avoid carrying heavy backpacks

9.

What causes upper back pain while eating?

If you experience back pain after eating, it is usually due to digestive problems like acid reflux or peptic ulcers. Depending on the severity of the digestive problem, you might feel back pain or pressure after eating. Some of the symptoms of peptic ulcer are heartburn, bloating, stomach pain, and gas.

I have back pain due to sitting in front of computer for long hours. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old male. I was sitting in front of the computer for more than 10 hours per day for past one month. I have mild pain in my lower back, not a constant pain. the pain either left side or right side but the right side is more time the pain always shift its position. and whil...  Read Full »

I get stomach pain whenever I eat. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week, I took an Albendazole tablet for worms. This week, I had a burger. From yesterday, my stomach is upset. If I eat any food, my stomach begins to hurt. I am unable to eat anything, and this is causing me to feel bloated. My urine appears dark yellow and my lips are very dry. P...  Read Full »

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »