Common "Renal Calculi" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Renal Calculi

Renal calculi are also called kidney stones. Renal calculi is a hard deposit formed inside the kidneys. It often occurs due to diet, excess body weight, taking supplements, and medications. In the affected person, they can cause fever, chills, and severe abdominal pain. Shock wave lithotripsy is a procedure used to break down larger renal stones. It is managed by taking pain relievers and drinking more water.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My lower back and upper abdomen are paining. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 54-year-old female with a weight of 60 kilograms and a height of five feet three inches. I have extreme pain in my lower back and upper abdomen. Currently, I am taking Maalox and Kremil-S for three days. But still, I have pain. Please suggest.   Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Please mention whether you have any burning sensation while urination and acidity in the stomach. Maalox does not help with the pain. Please mention your symptoms in detail.   Read Full »

I have 6 mm non-obstructing kidney stones. Kindly suggest.

Query: Hello doctor,My nephrologist checked me for a hernia and it was absent. Then he suspected I had kidney stones. So I went for an ultrasound, which reported a 6 mm nonobstructing stone at midpole in the right kidney and a bunch of small ones on the left. Despite this finding, my nephrologist suggested...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hello,Welcome to understand your concern.I would like to know the following:What are your symptoms?For how long have you experienced those symptoms?Is there any pain?Is it associated with nausea or vomiting?If there is hematuria, is the whole urine red or is it initial or terminal?Is i...  Read Full »

Why are there staphylococcal growth in urine and a pelvic mass in ultrasound?

Query: Hi doctor, I have staphylococcus in my urine for a long time. My present laboratory test shows a profuse growth of staphylococcus in my urine. I have sensitivity towards Ciprofloxacin, Streptomycin, and Perflacin. I have pain in my urinary bladder, urine retention, buzzing sounds in ears and pain a...  Read Full »

Dr. K. Shanmuganandan

Answer: Hi,Welcome to presence of Staphylococcal infection in urine is rare. I am worried about the mass present in the pelvis. Please send me the ultrasound report soon.  Read Full »

How to manage renal calculi and its symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is diagnosed with moderate right hydronephrosis, and proximal hydroureter is seen due to a calculus (1400 HU in attenuation value) in the right upper ureter measuring 13.2 x 7 mm, located approximately 6.5 cm below the pelvic ureteric junction. Two calculi are seen in the mid po...  Read Full »

Dr. Yash Kathuria

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern for your mother. The stones which are less than 5 mm are not of much concern because they may pass with adequate water intake, that is, 84.5 to 101.4 ounces of water every day. But the stone size of 13 mm has increased pressure in the right...  Read Full »

My reports show renal calculi and prostatomegaly. Need help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having on and off episodes of red-colored urine with suprapubic pain. My ultrasound report shows renal calculi with mild dilated pelvicalyceal system and grade 1 prostatomegaly. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The reason for your red-colored urine might be an obstruction or stone. I suggest you do a complete urine analysis, urine culture, and a flexible cystoscopy to get a clear picture of your illness. Regards.  Read Full »

Can Ayurveda cure obstructive uropathy due to renal calculi?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37-year-old male, and I have been diagnosed with stage V obstructed uropathy due to renal calculi. I tested my urine in the laboratory and attached reports for you to check. But everything is normal, and I have no swelling, no hypertension, no anemia, no BP, and no diabetes. My uri...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. You have stage 4 kidney disease due to obstructive uropathy. For that, only dialysis will help. I also suggest you restrict potassium in your diet and any supplement. Control your blood pressure and sugar level as well. You cannot rely purely...  Read Full »

Kindly review my reports and give your opinion on my renal calculi and dark-colored urine.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45-year-old male with no comorbidities. I have been experiencing pain in the pubic region with on and off dark-colored urine for the last three weeks. Abdominal ultrasound shows renal calculi of size 0.13 inch and 0.165 inch in the left kidney and 0.204 inch in the right kidney ...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Obstruction due to ureteric stone will need further evaluation with a CT KUB (computed tomography of kidney ureter bladder). It is likely to get UTI (urinary tract infection), so it is better to have urine analysis and culture. Management of the stone depends on the s...  Read Full »

Is kidney swelling due to calculus normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have kidney stones in my right kidney, and there are totally three stones in my kidney 0.19 inch, 0.14 inch, 0.12 inch, and mild right hydroureteronephrosis is seen due to calculus in the right distal urethra measuring 0.13 x 0.09 inch located just above the vesicoureteric junction. Kin...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for consulting. A 24-year-old male with right renal stones and distal ureteric stone causing a mild obstruction. The pain, if any, is caused due to blockage to the kidney by the ureteric stone. A kidney function test (serum creatinine level) is required to check on...  Read Full »

What is the chance of passing kidney stones with medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I have 8 mm renal calculi in the right upper ureter. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to CT KUB (kidneys, ureter, and bladder) is 95 percent accurate to diagnose urinary stones. Usually, stones form in the kidney and drop down the ureter causing extreme pain due to stretch of the renal capsule. Since your right kidney is blocked, I need to check on your kid...  Read Full »

I have severe consistent pain in my abdomen. What is the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. My height is 5'9", and weight is 130 lbs. I am not due my period anytime soon, and I am on birth control. For the past few days, I have been getting severe pains in the bottom of my abdomen. It started a few days ago with sharp pains on the right side just up a bit. By ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naik Sharmila Shashikant

Answer: Hi, Welcome to There could be ureteric calculus if the pain is sharp and shooting or a renal stone dislodged from the place. You need to get an ultrasound done to rule out any pathology. It needs further physical examination as it could just even be a muscular spasm, which happens if ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.