Q. I have pain in abdomen and increased frequency of stool after hernia surgery. Why?

Dr. Vadivel Kumaran S

I am 54 years old. Two-year post-RNY (gastric bypass surgery) I have had two Petersen hernia repairs since the surgery. The gallbladder was removed years ago. Yet since this surgery I get these horrible gut-wrenching pains from sternum to abdomen. It seems like the bowels are twisting for hours, that takes my breath away, then I go to the washroom maybe ten times within four to six hours. I can lose three to four pounds in a day. I do not seem to be constipated as I go every day or other day but perhaps I am. The surgeon does not think it is another Petersen hernia since I had two surgeries to repair them. I have had a gastro endoscope mouth to stomach (shows no ulcers and colonoscopy diagnosed with diverticulitis), a CT scan and an x-ray. I do not take medicines except for 100 mcg Eltroxin. Due to surgery, I am on a lifetime of multivitamins, B12 1000 mcg every second day and Proferrin (iron supplement). I have no allergies to foods. I never had this before when I was obese. The pain is so bad I wish for death at times and it is unpredictable. Would you have any idea what this could be? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Dr. Vadivel Kumaran S

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have gone through your history. The symptoms correspond to cramping pain followed by the passage of stools ten times within four to six hours suggestive of intestinal colic, involving your large intestine. Even your colonoscopy revealed diverticulitis which is the cause of your symptoms. You have to be treated with antibiotics to resolve your diverticulitis which is active and with antispasmodics to relieve pain. Get a stool analysis, leucocytes, Gm stain, occult blood, and protein C and S tests done.

Take tablet Secnidazole 2 gm single dose and Norfloxacin 400 mg 1-0-1, Drotin-DS 1-0-1, C.Bifilac-hp 1-0-1 for five days.

|