Hernia Surgery

Why is there pain in abdomen and increased stool frequency after hernia surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 54 years old. Two-year post-RNY (gastric bypass surgery) I have had two Petersen hernia repairs since the surgery. The gallbladder was removed years ago. Yet since this surgery I get these horrible gut-wrenching pains from sternum to abdomen. It seems like the bowels are twisting...  Read Full »

Dr. Vadivel Kumaran S

Medical Gastroenterologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history. The symptoms correspond to cramping pain followed by the passage of stools ten times within four to six hours suggestive of intestinal colic, involving your large intestine. Even your colonoscopy revealed diverticulitis which is the ...  Read Full »

Is there a treatment for inguinal hernia in Ayurveda?

Query: Hello doctor, I have inguinal hernias on both sides of my stomach. Which is the best ayurvedic medicine to cure it?  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. See the main cause of an inguinal hernia is a weak abdominal wall. Here due to the weak abdominal wall, the intestinal part usually comes down. This is an anatomical defect, which usually requires surgery. The symptoms may increase while coughin...  Read Full »

My belly button popped out after pregnancy. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a mother of two children. After my delivery, my navel has popped out and it has remained so even now. Please suggest some ways to get back my usual naval shape.  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sometimes, after childbirth, the rectum sheath and the muscles go weak and lead to a hernia. So, what you have may be an umbilical hernia. It will increase on coughing. It has to be checked by a surgeon. If it is a hernia, it can be treated surgically and the navel wi...  Read Full »

What are the abdominal exercises to be done after hernia surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I underwent surgery for umbilical hernia. Kindly let me know some exercises to strengthen the abdominal muscles.  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You must take complete rest for one week, and no exertion up to one month. After one month, you may get back to normal activities without restriction. It is advisable to start the routine work slowly and gradually. It is not advisable to do abdominal crunches after...  Read Full »

Is it possible to cure inguinal hernia without surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I am suffering from right inguinal hernia for the past two months. I have consulted a doctor and he asked me to go for surgery. Is it possible to cure inguinal hernia without surgery? Currently I have consulted a homeopathy doctor and I am on medicine given by hi...  Read Full »

Dr. Swati Totla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the hernia is in first or second degree then there is a treatment. For third degree hernia, surgery is the only treatment option. At the time of pain and swelling you can take the following medicine. Varanadi kashaya 450 mL - 10 mL twice a day diluted with water af...  Read Full »

Why is my stomach making squeaky noises few years after hernia surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it normal for my stomach to make squeaky sounds a few years after hernia surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The squeaky sound might be due to two reasons: Most common cause of this is IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This has a history of constipation and alternative episodes of diarrhea, with or without pain. If you have these symptoms, then it is IBS. Fibre-rich diet and me...  Read Full »

After hernia surgery, can I lift heavy weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old. My doctor said that I have an umbilical hernia. Either open surgery or laparoscopy, which would be the best? After which surgery, can I lift heavy weights? I am a sports person and a bodybuilder. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Nephrologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your cardiovascular status that is heart and lung functions are fine, then you can go for laparoscopic surgery. That is cosmetically better and less invasive. The scar will be much bigger in open, so chances of scar rupture and dehiscence are higher in open. The pos...  Read Full »

What are the specific measures I should follow before surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having surgery next week for reflux, Nissen fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair. A week before surgery, what can I do to improve my chance of success and limit the chance of complication? Can I take my Nexium (PPI) on the day of surgery or should I stop now?  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are no special measures you have to take for the surgery. Just maintain a light and watery diet from a week before surgery. The two last days (especially the last one) you can take any laxatives such as magnesium sulfate to clean and empty your intestine so that ...  Read Full »

Can hip labral tear and sports hernia both be addressed in the same surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a right side hip labral tear and a probable sports hernia on the same side. Can both these issues be addressed in the same surgery, or do they have to be addressed in separate surgeries?  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be tackled in the same anesthesia and surgery. Hip labral repairs or excision is done arthroscopically and after that, the surgery for sports hernia can be done either open or endoscopically. So, it can be done in the same sitting of anesthesia. Before the surge...  Read Full »

Can I have sex after 13 days of hernia surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I had hiatal hernia surgery and Nissen fundoplication 13 days ago. I did not have sex with my girlfriend for the past 13 days. Would it be fine to make love now? I know that having orgasm put some muscle tension over the abdomen. Will it cause any damage to the stitch?  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. I understand your concern. I would not recommend you to go for sex for at least four to six weeks after surgery. You may, however, go for foreplay that does not involve any vigorous pleasure activities. I know this is disheartening, but that is ...  Read Full »