Q. Even after 4 years of hernia surgery I have trouble near groin. Why?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
Published on Apr 12, 2016

I had a right inguinal hernia laparoscopic surgery four years back. After about 10 days of surgery, I started walking for about 4 to 5 km. The first two days, I did not feel any trouble. But, on the third day of my walk, I begun to feel trouble in the area of the groin and felt weak too. Starting from there, I always feel trouble and weak whenever I go for a long walk. It hurts and troubles me more when I lift heavy objects, any straining type of exercise in the groin area too hurts and I could never turn on the right side to lie down and sleep. The symptoms that I felt after getting hurt in the surgery are not only troubles, but feel immensely weak and discomforts in the right side of the flank. Now, it is more than four years, but still I have trouble. When checked with ultrasound abdomen, everything is normal except for the fatty liver which I have since five years. Some days back, I went to the urologist and have done ultrasound scrotum, but the results too turned out normal. So, what really is the problem in me? Kindly advise me. I also want to know what other examination methods can be taken to find out what is really wrong in my surgery. Please guide.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• Hernia surgery involves placement of a prolene mesh in the area of weakness, which promotes vigorous fibrosis.
  • So, it is only normal to experience mild discomfort on the side of surgery.
  • If it is not troubling you too much, then it is better to leave it alone, because any further intervention is likely to cause more trouble.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

My doctor always says, it is fine and ultrasound abdomen and ultrasound scrotum are normal, but I have a lot of troubles. If I sit or lie down on a thick sofa chair or bed, it hurts me. Can it be because of other health problems or my own psychology? I really do not understand, but it is true that I always get hurt only if I involved in the above physical activities. I have a strong suspicion that I might have hurt the surgery place because I did not take care of it well in the beginning. I want to know again that if there is any issue at the surgery site. Can it be seen by ultrasound abdomen and ultrasound scrotum? And if these two results are normal, then can I take that everything about the surgery is fine? Please help.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• Only gross problems can be picked up by ultrasound. Maybe you can do a contrast CT scan to get more details.

For further clarifications consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

I would like to know if I might have any of these. Do I have any nerve damage directly at the time of surgery? Is there some nerve entrapment in the scar tissue, mesh or sutures? Do I have any postoperative benign tumors such as neuromas? Do I have any scar tissue itself or some tissue damage? Or is it because of the misplaced mesh, if used? If I have any of the above problems in my surgery, should I go for compulsory repeat surgery? Or can it get healed if taken care? Can taking ultrasound abdomen and ultrasound scrotum detect the above problems? I do not want to take CT scan because of its high radiation, as I had done CT scan thrice in the past. Please advise me what other methods are there to detect my problem. Will MRI be possible or not? I have doubts that one of the above problem is surely there in my case. So, kindly explain and advise me. Looking forward to your response. Thank you.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• Ultrasound is not a good choice to detect problems related to nerve involvement.
  • If you are very concerned about radiation hazard, then I think MRI is an excellent alternative.
  • MRI can give accurate details about scar tissue, fibrosis and nerves. There is no risk of radiation and contrast sensitivity.
  • Please go ahead with MRI and keep me informed of the development. I hope you get well soon.

Revert back with the results to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

My M2-PK level is 150. Does it mean that I have cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My M2-PK is 150. Does it mean that I have cancer? There was no pain, just a regular checkup. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Grade 3 dislocation of ACL. Is surgery compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband dislocated his ACL. I would like to get his X-rays evaluated for a second opinion. He was diagnosed with grade III dislocation. Is surgery necessary based on the X-rays attached? What are the risks if he does not operate? How does non-operative treatment compare? How long d...  Read Full »

How can loose stools and a lot of gas released from the anus be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, Since last one year, I am having loose stools with a lot of gas released from the anus. Motion is not cleared fully. There is a burning sensation in stomach and somewhere in the intestines. There is a huge rambling in the stomach, especially in the evening hours. The doctor ...  Read Full »