Q. I have pain in the inguinal hernia surgery wound. Is re-surgery necessary?

Hi doctor,

I had a right inguinal hernia surgery, four years back. But still, I have troubles in the surgery wound, especially when I am involved in harder or longer physical activities. I also get hurt if lying down on the side of the surgery. The doctor advised me to get a CT scan, but as I had in the past took three CT scans on other parts of the body, I am not willing to take the risk of radiation. When ultrasound was taken, no abnormalities were detected. So, please advise what should I do or how should I take care of it. I am even thinking to have a re surgery, if necessary. What are the problems or risks I may face if re surgery is done? Thanks.

#

I went through your post. Let me tell you something about hernias.

• By definition, a hernia means protrusion of abdominal contents through a weak abdominal wall. If your hernia was operated, then it means the contents were returned to abdomen.
  • The best thing for you would be to strengthen the muscles by exercise around the hernia site, and I am sure such simple measures will help. However, if the hernia is still there, then surgery is to be done.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

An ultrasound was done, and the hernia has no problem, it is fine? What is suspected is something must be wrong in the wound like mesh entrapment or others. Kindly tell me the dangers or risks of having a repeat surgery or is it just the same as the first surgery? Thank you.

#

• If there is a problem with the mesh, then it should not be a problem, and I do not think there is any risk, as no abdominal organs are to be manipulated. Repair of the abdominal wall is only needed.

|