Q. I have pain in my abdomen and a bloated feeling. What do I do?

Dr. Aamir Mohd
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 26, 2018

I have a light pain in my upper abdomen with a bloated feeling after eating, and occasional pain in my gut. I did experience some violent pain about a year back, while I was training with an exercise program to strengthen my abs. It felt like a tear in my gut while training. I do not know if this has something to do with what I am experiencing now. I also train with heavy weights. Can you please give me an idea as to what is going on, and what I should do about this situation?

#

If you can answer following questions, then it will help to reach a definitive diagnosis:

1. At what time of the day does the pain occur?
  2. How does the pain relate to your food intake?
  3. Does the pain occur more at night and keep you awake?
  4. What is your daily diet like?

In the meantime, I would suggest you try the following things for improvement:

1. Take tablet Omeprazole 40mg once daily for 14 days. This will lessen the stomach acid.
  2. Take Sucralfate suspension twice a day for 10 days. Sucralfate can prevent or treat ulcers.
  3. Try to eat lighter meals at night before bedtime.
  4. Avoid spicy foods.
  5. Reduce your training sessions.

It would be advisable to have a proper examination by your family doctor, to determine whether or not this is a gastrointestinal problem related to digestion, or possibly a hernia from overexertion while exercising. A hernia occurs when the intestine protrudes or bulges out from the abdominal wall, which can cause abdominal pain.

|