Q. Could it be an issue of the crown that causes pain in the teeth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

About 13 years ago, I had an abscess on the right upper first and second molars. The Endodontist has done root canal treatment in these teeth and crowns were placed after the treatment. Recently, I experienced pain around the gums in the second molar and there is a pain radiating to the head. I went to my dentist. He examined and took an X-ray which looked fine. The crown was removed and cleaned by the Hygienist with a Listerine or Peroxide mix. There were food particles and they cleared the food particles present in the crown. My dentist advised me to take tablet Zyrtec every day. The teeth still have a dull type of pain. Could it be an issue of the crown that has not been shown on the X-ray or there is any allergies?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

It could be mostly due to food impaction causing infection below the crown. So, the dentist might have tried to clean it. If you have X-ray of the teeth please attach it for examination. This pain is definitely not an allergy. Use warm salt water gargle twice a day for a week or two. There will be a relief. If still, the pain persists or increases in future then, you have an option including extraction of the teeth or replacing the crown with a new one causing no food impaction below the crown. You need to take antibiotics for a week if the gums are irritating and if there is a pain.

For more information consult an endodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endodontist

|