Abscess

Is it advisable to close the abscess with sutures after draining?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a boil on my left labia, and I had that same boil for 2 years, because my doctor was saying it will go away. But, it did not, and last week I went to hospital and the doctor drained the boil with anesthesia, and then he closed it with stitches, now it is still hard and smells li...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I totally agree with you. After draining a boil the doctor should have not closed the skin with stitches because how much ever adequately anybody drains the pus, some pus will be left behind for which anti-septic and antibiotic dressing has to be done and a repeat exami...  Read Full »

Why do I have lumps near the anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in real pain for past 9 months and my doctor is clueless after several visits. After a period of 38.6 weeks in latent labor, I had a vacuum assisted vaginal delivery (first baby). No ultrasound was done the very day of admission. With crowning left medio-lateral episiotomy was given....  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your complaint. It seems there is fistula (tunnel like passage) formation leading to recurrent perianal abscess in your anogenital area. But it needs to be examined to confirm the diagnosis. I would suggest you to consult an experienced surgeon for f...  Read Full »

What causes nodule on uvula?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small, flesh-colored and raised lump at the top of my uvula. There is another smaller one next to it. It is 2 to 3 mm in size. I look as if it is soft and there is no issue with swallowing. It is not painful and I have been aware of it for more than a month. I am a 19 year old ma...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. One question from my side is, have you noted if the lump is growing bigger in size? If yes, then it is a serious issue to be noted. Immediately consult your nearby oral medicine specialist or oral pathologist fo...  Read Full »

I have a boil near my anus for the past two years. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a boil near my anus for the past two years. Kindly advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Madhav

General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what I can see, it appears to be an abscess. The fact that it is reoccurring means that it has never adequately been dealt with. I would like you to answer a few questions before we go forward. Do you suffer from a medical illness, like diabetes? Does this swell...  Read Full »

Why am I having dental abscess after three rounds of root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had three sessions of a root canal, but I am still having a dental abscess. The treated tooth does not hurt and the root canal seems to be properly done but the abscess keeps coming back even after taking antibiotics. Why is this happening? Also, how can I know what type of abscess ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An X-ray would be required. Mostly, such cases have to go for a treatment known as apicoectomy which is draining the abscess by making a passage through bone. Some abscesses are recurrent which cause necrosis of bone at the root level. Such conditions make root canal tr...  Read Full »

Azithromycin to prevent an abscess

Query: Hello doctor, To avoid an abscess, can I take an antibiotic like Azithromycin? If not, please suggest which one I can take?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Azithromycin is not recommended for skin and soft tissue infections. Generally, a combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate twice daily is used. However, unless you have a skin infection you should not use it. It is used for a treatment and not for prevention. Regards...  Read Full »

Arm is abscessed after vaccination. What to do?

Query: Dear doctor, My 9 month old daughter had an immunization for measles. It was given on her right arm and the area is abscessed. She is not consuming food properly. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Injection abscess needs to be drained with an antibiotic. You need to consult your nearest pediatrician immediately. If untreated it can lead to complications. Read on what our experts say about injection abscess, its treatment options, and preventions.  Read Full »

I have pain after sigmoidoscopy. What is causing this?

Query: Dear doctor, Is intestinal abscess a possibility? I need a second opinion. Medical history: On April 1st, I underwent sigmoidoscopy, and since then, a pain started on my left side. They also diagnosed C.difficile. We started Vancomycin. Then the pain stopped. At week-3 of treatment with Vancomycin,...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be one possibility that sigmoidoscopy has caused an abscess, but again to prove that a repeat sigmoidoscopy has to be done. But also, there might be other causes like inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), or other infections as well....  Read Full »

Kindly advise some medicine for anal abscess.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from an abscess near my anal area. I am having severe pain near my anal area. I had the same two years before. I have been taking Moxclav 625 for the past two days. However, my fever has not come down. Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist, Cosmetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and understand your concern. For anal abscess, I prefer to advise a combination of Ampicillin and Cloxacillin to my patients for 7-10 days. Along with anti-inflammatory drugs like Diclofenac and Serratopeptidase is also advised. Get your blood s...  Read Full »

My 1 year kid has continuous fever and abscess in neck. Kindly guide.

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 1 year old. Since 10 days she has a fever. From the very first day, we have consult pediatrician and he started Nobel plus for fever four times a day. We completed the course for five days and returned to doctor for follow up. He again suggested for Nobel plus twice a d...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I have gone through reports and history (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the picture, it appears to be abscess only. Also, the doctor confirms it on examination. The next line of action should be an ultrasound of the abscess to look for e...  Read Full »