A collection of pus that has formed within the body's tissue is called an abscess. The affected area will be red, swollen, warm to touch, and pain. It can affect your skin, gums, or any organ of the body. The pus has to be drained for the abscess to heal.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Injection spot is hard and swollen. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor,I took an injection some months ago. Four days ago, I found out that the spot I took the injection is hard and swollen and am feeling pain at the spot. What can we do about it?  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you mentioned, it is most likely an abscess. Treatment includes antibiotics plus drainage if the size is large. 1. Can you estimate the size? 2. Is it red? 3. Is there any pus oozing from it? 4. Can you provide some photos to...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for a recurrent pus-draining pimple on the inner part of the hip?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months back, I developed a sort of pimple on the inner part of the hip, which later drained and got healed. But later it again opened up with draining pus. And for the last few weeks, it has not healed automatically. I have started taking Augmentin Duo 625 for the last three days, b...  Read Full »

Dr. Theadore A. Hufford

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an abscess cavity that needs to be drained more widely and opened more. If it is not opened widely, then the skin will continue to close before the infection is gone, which will continue the cycle. You can try Sitz baths while it is openly draining now a...  Read Full »

Will my anal fistula and perirectal abscess require complex surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 42-year-old female suffering from perirectal abscess and anal fistula. I need to know if my fistula surgery will be simple based on the MRI findings or if I will need a complex surgery.  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Sonal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the MRI report you shared (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), your fistula-in-ano seems complex. A definitive surgery performed at the earliest is required. The surgery will be performed under spinal anesthesia and is not a high-risk surgery....  Read Full »

What is the treatment for abscesses, which look like an insect bite?

Query: Hello doctor,I have two abscesses, which look like an insect bite with a dark spot at the center. Both abscesses are hot to touch with acute pain. One of them is filled with pus and has started to drain slowly. I have attached the photos.Please suggest some medicine.  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would not be an insect bite unless it appeared overnight. After reviewing the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like an infection of the hair follicle. For such a skin infection, overweight and diabetes are the risk factors. I ...  Read Full »

My abdominal pain did not reduce even after taking antibiotics. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 52-year-old female. Two weeks back, I had severe abdomen pain and got a sonography done. I have been diagnosed with amebic liver abscess. It was identified 13 days back and I was admitted in hospital for three days and was given saline and Metronidazole dosages, but still not rec...  Read Full »

Dr. Vasavada Bhavin Bhupendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If no improvement is present even after antibiotics, I would recommend a CT scan to confirm whether it is an abscess or something else. If CT scan confirms that it is liver abscess, then would just put a sonographic guided needle in the abscess and drain out all the pus...  Read Full »

I have pain after sigmoidoscopy. What is causing this?

Query: Dear doctor, Is intestinal abscess a possibility? I need a second opinion. Medical history: On April 1st, I underwent sigmoidoscopy, and since then, a pain started on my left side. They also diagnosed C.difficile. We started Vancomycin. Then the pain stopped. At week-3 of treatment with Vancomycin,...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara. P

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.It could be one possibility that sigmoidoscopy has caused an abscess, but again to prove that a repeat sigmoidoscopy has to be done. But also, there might be other causes like inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), or other infections as well.Also...  Read Full »

Can I take Azithromycin to avoid an abscess?

Query: Hello doctor, To avoid an abscess, can I take an antibiotic like Azithromycin? If not, please suggest which one I can take?  Read Full »

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Azithromycin is not recommended for skin and soft tissue infections. Generally, a combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate twice daily is used. However, unless you have a skin infection you should not use it. It is used for a treatment and not for prevention. Regards...  Read Full »

I have a red and painful swelling in the pubic area, which has grown in size in the last few days. Can it be due to an ingrown hair?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a red and hard swelling in the pubic area around the waistline. The swelling is painful and tender when touched, although I cannot see any pus in it. I think it can be due to an ingrown hair, I plucked the hair in the region, although this did not result in any reduction in the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the information and image provided (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). The swelling appears to be an abscess from the pictures shared. Swelling at the end of the hair follicle in the pubic area suggests folliculitis, an infection o...  Read Full »

I have a lump on my skin, is it a swollen lymph node or a pimple?

Query: Hello doctor, I am attaching a picture of a lump on my skin, and I wanted to know if this was a swollen lymph node or a pimple. It feels like a hard lump somehow in the skin, not underneath it. It appears to be red, and it is painful.   Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. From the picture attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it is an abscess (collection of pus) inside the skin. There are no swollen lymph nodes, so do not worry about it. It will be alright. Can you please tell me wh...  Read Full »

I have pus oozing lesion in my underarm. What can it be?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old female. I am obese. My weight is 89 kg and height is 5 feet 7 inches. Currently, I am taking Thyronorm 75 mcg and Storfib 145. Previously, I used to get lymph node enlargement in underarms and groin area, but they never become lesions. I have been having a pus oozin...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might be suffering from hidradenitis suppurativa, skin disease that causes abscess and scarring which commonly affects sweat glands. Are both underarms affected? Please send good quality photographs for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment. Rever...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.