Q. Having some strangling feeling in my throat post thyroidectomy. Why?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 08, 2020

I have been having a strangling feeling in my throat for around seven months. This came post thyroidectomy and so I thought it had to do with surgery. However, my gastroenterologist did an endoscopy and found bile in my stomach. As I researched this, I immediately thought of my gallbladder removal surgery two years ago. Anyhow, she put me on acid reflux medicines and that do not seem to be helping at all. I have pain in the upper right quadrant of my stomach and this strangling feeling every day. I am taking Carafate four times a day as well. I have just changed my thyroid medicine to Nature Thyroid 2 grains per day. My TSH was at 2 and I know it should be closer to 1. What to do?

#

• Yes, your symptoms are consistent with acid reflux.
  • Did you have the same strangling feeling in neck during the last episode of symptoms? Or was there mid-chest burning type pain?
  • Did you have endoscopy last time? There is no correlation of your symptoms with thyroidectomy.
  • Only large amounts or continuous presence of bile in the stomach can produce bile-reflux induced gastritis, which might be absent in your endoscopy finding as you have not mentioned.
  • Carafate - Sucralfate is useful for gastric ulcers, with negligible effect in gastroesophageal reflux disease. In this scenario, your endoscopy must have found either gastritis or gastric ulcer.

Small hiatus hernia.

If gastritis is ruled out, then consider barium study for hiatus hernia.

Infection induced pangastritis.

Continue medications for gastritis.

1. Avoid spicy food and try to reduce any form of nicotine and caffeine.
2. Do not sleep immediately after dinner.
3. Try to reduce liquids during meals.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|