iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersGeneral MedicinegerdCan hernia be the cause of chest pain and lethargy in me?

Can hernia cause chest pain and lethargy in a young chap?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At October 7, 2015
Reviewed AtFebruary 5, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 30-year-old male working in a national insurance company. My height is 5 feet 11 inches and my weight is 187.39 Ibs. I do not drink and I do not have any other habits. I eat a mixed diet. I am married and have one baby girl (two years of age). I am leading a stress-less life both at home and office. I am a very calm and smooth-going person. My only concern is my health.

  1. I feel some pricking pain in the upper back side of the shoulder and the left side of the chest. I feel very uncomfortable.
  2. I feel drowsy and unsteady throughout the day.
  3. When I am walking or sitting or sleeping I feel that I am pulled down to the ground and I feel extreme tiredness and pain in my legs. At the same time, I feel air hunger and am not able to breathe comfortably.
  4. With all these pains and drowsiness I am doing my routine work.
  5. Also, I feel pain in the left side of my head next to my eye and I feel dull.

Two years back I underwent MRI cervical spine and CT chest, and one year back I underwent CT coronary angiogram. I was diagnosed with a sliding hiatus hernia last month. I underwent an appendicitis operation one year back. I am attaching my recent reports for your reference. As I am young, I am much worried about my present health condition. As I do not have the habit of regular exercise I keep gaining weight. I am not sure whether my diet is healthy and balanced. Please advise.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have reviewed all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You seem to be having GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) due to hiatus hernia. The GERD might cause the chest and back pain.

  1. I would advise you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone for reflux.
  2. I would recommend you to take a soft and bland diet.
  3. You should put a pillow below your head when you sleep.
  4. Make it a habit that you walk after every meal.
  5. More important here is to avoid alcohol and smoking in case you do.
  6. Always brush your teeth before you sleep.
  7. Your reports have serious issues with the raised cholesterol and that would pose a risk of heart attack. You should be started on a combination containing Atorvastatin and Fenofibrate to reduce cholesterol levels.
  8. Take measures to reduce your weight.
  9. Avoid fatty food, alcohol, smoking, potato, rice, and oil.
  10. Get an ECG done to rule out any cardiac event. Stay healthy.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anshul Varshney
Dr. Anshul Varshney

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy