Q. I am 14 weeks pregnant, and I suffer from severe acid reflux. Should I consult a gastroenterologist?

Dr. Rosita Alizadeh Shalchi
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 14 weeks pregnant, and I suffer from continuous severe acid reflux, from the past 7 to 8 weeks. I consulted my gynecologist, but she did not give any medicine. Antacids are not effective at all, and I have a feeling of food stuck in my throat and chest. It is very unpleasant and uncomfortable. I have even lost 6 kg within the last month, due to acid reflux and severe food aversion. Should I consult a gastroenterologist? I have tried taking Pentab and Gelusil.

#

I am sorry that you have severe discomfort.

• You know that acid reflux and nausea are common in pregnancy. Sometimes, small and frequent meals can be tolerated.
  • I suggest you try taking a ginger-based candy 15 minutes before you get out of bed.
  • It is better not to drink a lot of liquid with the meal or lie down right after a meal. Tea, greasy food, spicy food, food with strong smell, and soft drinks can increase the problem.
  • As you have severe discomfort, I would recommend you see a gastroenterologist as soon as possible. Sometimes, a short admission of serum therapy can help the stomach to calm down.

I wish you get better soon.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|