Q. I feel like something is stuck in my throat. Kindly suggest the diagnosis and treatment.

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have a feeling that something is stuck in my throat for the past 4 to 5 days. There is no pain but I feel uneasy. On drinking water, I feel better, but the feeling of something stuck in my throat still remains. I cannot see any swelling in the neck area. Please suggest the diagnosis and treatment.

#

This could be due to reflux. Try taking Pantocid DSR (Domperidone and Pantoprazole) on an empty stomach for a few days, once or twice daily. For a decisive diagnosis, we need these details as well.

1. Are you diabetic or hypertensive?

2. did you eat anything from outside before this started?

3. Do you have any bloating or gas?

4. any indigestion?

5. any burning sensation?

6. Does your bowels remain normal?

7. Do you have any fever or allergies?

I got chronic acidity due to the Hiatus hernia diagnosed two years back. I have enclosed my endoscopy report. I take Nexpro 20 (once in the morning) and Domstal 10 (twice a day) for it. I am not diabetic. I have a blood pressure of 123/88 mmHg. I have bloating and gas. I eat outside sometimes. But I do not remember if this started after that. I am a vegetarian. My bowels are normal. I do not have a fever or allergies. Is this feeling of something stuck looks serious? Any testing required? Please suggest treatment.

#

So most likely, this something stuck in the throat feeling is due to reflux. The acid refluxed contents escape into the throat and cause some swelling inside. It will not be visible outside. It causes a tendency to clear the throat frequently. It causes you to take frequent breaks while talking. I would suggest Neksium 40 (Esomeprazole) once in the morning and keep continuing the Domperidone as recommended. Along with the above, take an antihistaminic, say Montek LC (Montelukast with Levocetirizine) once in the evening and an antacid syrup, like Gaviscon, two teaspoons twice or thrice daily, once after every meal. Avoid smoke, dust, pollution, alcohol, spicy oily foods, and outside foods. Avoid milk and milk products. Avoid carbonated drinks. Continue the above for 10 to 15 days and review with us. When a patient like you visits me, I usually do a laryngoscopy to reassure the patient and confirm the diagnosis. Very rarely, the laryngoscopy may pick up something other than reflux-related changes. Then our treatment will differ.

|