Laryngoscopy

Do I need surgical intervention for nodule in vocal cords?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 70 years old. I am feeling hoarseness in my voice for some time. A doctor suggested laryngoscopy, and in the scan, there is a nodule in my vocal cord. What should I do now? Should I remove it or just go with medication?  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for providing a brief history and the endoscopic picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). A vocal nodule is a benign lesion situated on the true vocal cord. This is not cancerous and not lethal, not requiring immediate surgery. However, hoars...  Read Full »

Can vocal hemorrhage cause vocal problems?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a semi-professional singer and recently, I have been dealing with some vocal problems, I think I had a vocal hemorrhage and it seems to slowly heal, I am really not sure about what it is, so it would mean the world if you could give me your thoughts on it and in how much time it is...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are hemorrhagic patches (early stage) in the anterior one third of both the vocal cords but that will heal if you will take adequate voice rest, drink plenty of water, maintain vocal hygiene for a month and take proton pump inhibitors as well. Get repeat laryng...  Read Full »

Why does my Adam's apple hurt on touch?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male with a history of some tonsil problem. About seven years ago, I had both a peritonsillar abscess and mononucleosis around the same time. After that, I began seeing an ENT for some fatigue and for lymph nodes on my neck that were both large and painless. After a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please send me pictures of your throat and of the prescription of the surgery done before? I feel you have recurrent follicular tonsillitis, and you got peritonsillar abscess for the same reason. Chronic throat infection also causes lymph node enlargement, which ...  Read Full »

Why is there a feeling of windpipe compression in a pregnant patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had some problems with swallowing for about a year. At first, it was happening with solid food and only from time to time. Then it started to appear more often. I have seen GP about that and they advised me to see a psychologist in case it was due to anxiety because it was not ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are happy to help you. I understand your situation and the worries the problem might be causing to you, that too when you are pregnant. With the symptoms you have described, and with the doctor's repeated reassurances to you, I feel there may not be any super si...  Read Full »

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms described by you match the presentations of globus pharyngeus or laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngopharyngeal reflux, like the one that occurs at the stomach-esophageal junction, occurs in the region of the neck due to the presence of some acid producing ...  Read Full »

How can we remove a fish bone embedded in the throat?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter got a fishbone embedded in her throat. It was shown in the x-ray. But the doctor was unable to view it when he went through the throat with an endoscope last night, and it was close to an artery. What can be done?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly provide me the x-ray films and the endoscopic picture (if you have). Where was the fishbone stuck exactly? Does the doctor said about the level? What are the present complaints? When did it happen?  Read Full »

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.In such a patient what we would do is a laryngoscopy. Just to rule out any growth or inflammation. Chronic sinusitis due to contact post nasal drip tends to cause reflux-related symptoms and globus feeling. Secondly, we need to check your hemoglobin status to rule out Pl...  Read Full »

My father is unable to speak clearly of late and his voice sounds different. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am worried about my father. He is not able to speak clearly of late. He feels that his tongue has swollen. I have consulted many doctors, but they were unable to diagnose his disease. All his test reports are alright. There was no problem detected. But one doctor tells us that the mu...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you elaborate on the symptoms ? How old is he? Does he feel like there is something stuck in the throat? Is there any change in voice or a hoarseness? Is there any pain or difficulty in swallowing? Is there any weight loss or loss of appetite? Does he smoke? Does h...  Read Full »

Why do I have a raspy voice from childhood?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my voice. As a kid, I had a raspy voice the entire time until puberty. After I hit puberty, I do not think my parents noticed anything, but people have said I sound like Kermit the frog or that I need to stop mumbling. The problem I have is that I have to try qu...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your nose is blocked then you may have nasal polyps or some nasopharyngeal mass like adenoid or may have deviated nasal septum. For that, an endoscopy or CT scan is required. It may alter the voice. After ruling out these possibilities, you can consult a speec...  Read Full »

Why is my mother having throat pain for the past six months?

Query: ‏Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from severe pain in the throat since the past six months. We have been to a lot of physicians, and most of them seem to think it is a sore throat. But, the sore throat medications are not helping. One doctor suggested that the throat pain has got something to do ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your mother seems to suffer from reflux laryngitis. Like the doctor said, it is the inflammation due to excessive production of acid by acid cells in the pharynx, which causes the acid to reflux into the larynx and cause chronic throat irritation. It produces a foreig...  Read Full »