Q. Kindly tell the treatment for acid reflux due to Vitamin B12 intake.

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Published on Oct 17, 2018

My question is as follows. I have low B12 tested at blood laboratory. I have been taking B12 for over three years off and on as directed by my doctor (sublingual). Now every time I take B12 with food or without the acid reflux is so very bad. I have to some times take medication to calm the acid reflux. Is there anything I can do?

#

I understand all your concerns. Acid reflux is one of the adverse effects of taking Vitamin B12 supplements. I suggest that you test the vitamin B12 level as you have already taken supplements for three years. In case of mild deficiency, I suggest that you take foods rich in Vitamin B12 like clams and liver and stop the supplements. For acid problems, I suggest antacids like Maalox (Calcium carbonate) after meals.

I recently tested B12. It is still low 180, test one week ago. I will try Maalox. I only have acid reflux when I take the B12. Thank You for the helpful information.

#

180 is considered a mild deficiency. I suggest that you depend on natural sources of Vitamin B12 plus either once a week Vitamin B12 injection or low dose oral intake. Further history and investigation is required to find out any cause of persistent low vitamin B12. Treatment of vitamin B12 deficiency is only required if severely deficient, peripheral neuropathy symptoms or anemia.

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms described by you match the presentations of globus pharyngeus or laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngopharyngeal reflux, like the one that occurs at the stomach-esophageal junction, occurs in the region of the neck due to the presence of some acid producing ...  Read Full

Suffering from acid reflux and bloating for the third time in a year. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I have had severe acid reflux and stomach bloating three times in the past 12 months. It started suddenly each time. There is no prior symptom. This is the third time and it has been going on for a month. During the first time, I treated myself with antacids (Calc...  Read Full >>

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You described two different entities here. If you have indigestion due to any reason, then you may have bloating, burping, heaviness of abdomen and early satiety. This occurs due to less enzymes available from the stomach, gall bladder and, pancreas for digestion due t...  Read Full

Can chest pain result from vitamin B12 deficiency?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I have been diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency and I am taking medicines from last month. I have a slight pain in the left side of my chest and also below my chest. My ECG is normal.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chest pain can be nonspecific but, you should get evaluated if the aches and pains are all over the body or sometimes in one specific group of muscle. For more information contact a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist  Read Full