Q. Kindly tell the treatment for acid reflux due to Vitamin B12 intake.

Answered by Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Acid Reflux or Vitamin B12? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hello doctor,

My question is as follows. I have low B12 tested at blood laboratory. I have been taking B12 for over three years off and on as directed by my doctor (sublingual). Now every time I take B12 with food or without the acid reflux is so very bad. I have to some times take medication to calm the acid reflux. Is there anything I can do?

Related Questions:
Can Vitamin B12 improve my low platetlet count?
My vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it?
I have consistent acid reflux the whole day. Please help.

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
General Medicine, Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand all your concerns. Acid reflux is one of the adverse effects of taking Vitamin B12 supplements. I suggest that you test the vitamin B12 level as you have already taken supplements for three years. In case of mild deficiency, I suggest that you take foods rich in Vitamin B12 like clams and liver and stop the supplements. For acid problems, I suggest antacids like Maalox (Calcium carbonate) after meals.


Thank you doctor,

I recently tested B12. It is still low 180, test one week ago. I will try Maalox. I only have acid reflux when I take the B12. Thank You for the helpful information.


Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
General Medicine, Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

180 is considered a mild deficiency. I suggest that you depend on natural sources of Vitamin B12 plus either once a week Vitamin B12 injection or low dose oral intake. Further history and investigation is required to find out any cause of persistent low vitamin B12. Treatment of vitamin B12 deficiency is only required if severely deficient, peripheral neuropathy symptoms or anemia.

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?
Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal
ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms described by you match the presentations of globus pharyngeus or laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngopharyngeal reflux, like the one that occurs at the stomach-esophageal junction, occurs in the region of the neck due to the presence of some acid producing ...  Read Full »
Suffering from acid reflux and bloating for the third time in a year. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I have had severe acid reflux and stomach bloating three times in the past 12 months. It started suddenly each time. There is no prior symptom. This is the third time and it has been going on for a month. During the first time, I treated myself with antacids (Calc...  Read Full »
Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You described two different entities here. If you have indigestion due to any reason, then you may have bloating, burping, heaviness of abdomen and early satiety. This occurs due to less enzymes available from the stomach, gall bladder and, pancreas for digestion due t...  Read Full »
Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause chest pain?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I have been diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency and I am taking medicines from last month. I have a slight pain in the left side of my chest and also below my chest. My ECG is normal.  Read Full »
Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chest pain can be nonspecific but, you should get evaluated if the aches and pains are all over the body or sometimes in one specific group of muscle. For more information contact a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Can transvaginal scan cause spotting during pregnancy?
Hi doctor, I have a history of recurrent early miscarriage (before seven weeks). Investigations pointed to high autoimm ...Read more »
My hairline has reduced. Should I opt for Ayurveda, homeopathy, or other alternative medicine?
Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old male. For past five to six years my hairline has reduced drastically, a kind of patter ...Read more »
How to Grow Thick and Dark Eyelashes - Uses | Work | Effective | Precautions | Side Effects
Women use mascaras, artificial eyelashes, and a lot of other cosmetic products to make their eyelashes look long, thick, ...Read more »

Also Read Answers From