Q. Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause chest pain?

Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am a 31 year old male. I have been diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency and I am taking medicines from last month. I have a slight pain in the left side of my chest and also below my chest. My ECG is normal.

#

• Chest pain can be nonspecific but, you should get evaluated if the aches and pains are all over the body or sometimes in one specific group of muscle.

For more information contact a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

My vitamin B12 level was 154. The other blood tests are normal. Before the diagnosis, I was feeling a suction on the left side of my chest. But now, after the treatment, it is normal. And when I tried to sleep on the left side, it was quite uncomfortable. This problem got cured after the treatment as well but, not completely. I want to know if all these symptoms are related to vitamin B12 deficiency or another problem.

#

• I also suggest you undergo a cardiac evaluation.
  • Re-check B12 levels after six months of correction therapy.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I will follow your suggestion. But, how much time does it take to correct B12 levels generally? I am a vegan. Also, I never smoke or drink. My BMI is 22.3.

#

• As you are a vegan, you are bound to have a vitamin B12 deficiency.
  • You need to repeatedly check your vitamin B12 level at least every six months.
  • If you are taking injections daily for a week, then weekly for a month, then monthly for six months, usually you should have optimum levels in a year.
  • Your symptoms will resolve after a month of therapy.
  • Monitor the levels repeatedly, as vitamin B12 deficiency can recur.

|