Q. Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause chest pain?

Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede
Published on Aug 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am a 31 year old male. I have been diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency and I am taking medicines from last month. I have a slight pain in the left side of my chest and also below my chest. My ECG is normal.

#

• Chest pain can be nonspecific but, you should get evaluated if the aches and pains are all over the body or sometimes in one specific group of muscle.

For more information contact a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

My vitamin B12 level was 154. The other blood tests are normal. Before the diagnosis, I was feeling a suction on the left side of my chest. But now, after the treatment, it is normal. And when I tried to sleep on the left side, it was quite uncomfortable. This problem got cured after the treatment as well but, not completely. I want to know if all these symptoms are related to vitamin B12 deficiency or another problem.

#

• I also suggest you undergo a cardiac evaluation.
  • Re-check B12 levels after six months of correction therapy.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I will follow your suggestion. But, how much time does it take to correct B12 levels generally? I am a vegan. Also, I never smoke or drink. My BMI is 22.3.

#

• As you are a vegan, you are bound to have a vitamin B12 deficiency.
  • You need to repeatedly check your vitamin B12 level at least every six months.
  • If you are taking injections daily for a week, then weekly for a month, then monthly for six months, usually you should have optimum levels in a year.
  • Your symptoms will resolve after a month of therapy.
  • Monitor the levels repeatedly, as vitamin B12 deficiency can recur.

My daughter has pernicious anemia from the age of 11. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I hope you will be able to help me with my daughter's health. The summary of her health is as follows: She was born prematurely at 25 weeks. She had to undergo PDA surgery soon after. She had Hashimoto's hypothyroidism when she was 8 years of age. She had urticaria and angioedema for m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and the medical history of your daughter. I have seen the detailed reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) as well. Let me answer each one of your questions. Her raised cortisol is likely to be due to exogenous steroids use, like...  Read Full

What is there head numbness in a thrombosis patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has a high platelet count consistently for two years. She has numbness in her right leg which used to be intermittent earlier but is now regular. We checked her ESR which is also high at 30. The problems she is facing now is numbness in head, headaches, stressed eyes, feels lo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Her lipid profile is deranged with high cholesterol levels, her vitamin B12 levels are normal although towards the lower end of normal, and her vitamin D levels are borderline and ...  Read Full