Q. What could irritate my throat and cause vomiting sensation?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I feel something in the back of my throat making me puke. It has been two days and the doctor says it is just irritated from my vomiting the previous day but it feels like a hair is there and I feel it moves sometimes. It sits there. I know it is there but I cannot handle it, then it moves forcing me to puke. I have not slept in 24 hours because of this thing. All I want to know is am I crazy to think that there is something in there or is the doctor right and it is just irritated? I had been vomiting and having diarrhea for eight days.

#

Throat is highly sensitive and anything causing irritation can be annoying. Foreign body sensations in throat may be subjective or there can be some pathology causing it. Inflammation of structures in throat like uvula, tonsils or posterior pharyngeal wall can cause foreign body sensation. And at times foreign objects like fish bones and other sharp organic matter gets stuck in and around the area of tonsils causing foreign body sensation.

At times forceful deglutition or swallowing can lead to foreign sensation. Gastric reflux can cause foreign body sensation. Then there is a condition called globus pharyngeus which can cause foreign body sensation, anxiety, stress being the underlying cause. But before coming to any diagnosis your throat must be examined. Can you send me a picture of your throat through an open mouth?

|