Q. What does my tests taken for acid reflux show?

Dr. Noushif. M

What do these tests results mean? Esophageal mobility: % failed 30, % weak 40, % ineffective 70. EGJ outflow obstruction, median IRP 19.8. I am having acid reflux and taking medications for GERD.

#

Can you send across the endoscopy report? Looks more like EGJ outflow obstruction than achalasia cardiac. Anti-reflux surgery alone will not help. May need myotomy too. Will give a definite comment once I see the pending reports.

My endoscopy came back normal.

#

You have motility disorder as a part of EGJ outflow obstruction. The pressure at EGJ is high. If your symptoms are severe and not controlled with medicines you need to undergo surgery. Myotomy to relieve pressure (IRP) combined with fundoplication to address reflux is the best option available now.

Thank you for this information. I am confused though. If there is a lot of pressure at my LES then why am I constantly burping and having reflux? Would I not reflux? Can you explain to me the results? My current symptoms are coughing, throat clearing, a lot of belching, and some heart burn. I have not noticed a lot of swallowing problems.

#

I can understand your confusion. Here it is incomplete action of distal sphincter clubbed with ineffective motility of proximal esophagus. The stasis or ineffective forward movement can result in reflux like symptoms of night cough, throat irritation, retrosternal discomfort, etc. You can try dietary and lifestyle modifications for a while if not yet done so far.

|