Q. I have got grade 3 ACL tear. Should I consider surgery?

Dr. Lokesh

I fell down from bike 10 days back and since then I am unable to walk properly. I have a problem in the knee. In the X-ray report, there was no fracture found. However, in MRI it shows ACL grade 3 tear. So just wanted to know if surgery is mandatory or any other option (without surgery) is available to treat ACL tear. If I do not go for surgery then would there be any serious consequences? Please suggest. I have attached my reports here.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

At your age, if you have a complete ACL tear, then the best idea is to have surgery and reconstructed. This can also be treated non-operatively by physiotherapy and muscle strengthening of the hamstrings. However, this does not fully compensate for the ligament loss. If you still have symptoms of knee buckling after physiotherapy then also it is an indication of surgery. If you do not get operated, then your chances of developing late osteoarthritis increases which may later require surgery.

ACL grade 3 tear.

|