Q. Even after a month of ACL and meniscus surgery, I am unable to walk steadily. Please help.

Dr. Nischith
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana

Hi Doctor , Its been exactly 1 month I had gone through ACL and Meniscus surgery on my right knee. Doctor suggested me not to remove my knee braces for 2 weeks , after 2weeks i completely removed braces and started walking . Now i started few exercise on my own. I am walking but not steady walking and I cannot keep pressure on my leg still. How much time does it take me to be on normal way . I recently started psychotherapy even. Sitting for a while and standing at sudden, my leg cannot resist the pain Any suggestions . Please

#

Hello, I understand that you have undergone Acl and meniscus repair 2 weeks back. Hence we need to put you on graded excercise therapy before allowing you to completely walk normally as before. Your Acl ligament reconstruction shouldn’t be at abnormal stress during the initial 12 weeks , Hence your doctor would have advised you to use brace so that he gradually wean you off from brace.

Depending on your range of knee movements, we can plan to mobilise you on a graded basis. Initially you need to strengthen your Quadriceps through passive and then followed by active knee extension. Usually 2 nd week you can start Flexion range of movements initially passive and then active. Once your muscle strengths Are optimal, You can walk. Follow back if any doubts . Thank you.

| 

Why is my baby's tibia bone swollen?

Query: Hi doctor, My 8 month old baby boy has swelling in tibia bone. He does not have any pain or irritation over the swelling. He started standing by his 6 months onwards. What is the reason for this swelling?  Read Full »

How long can ACL surgery be postponded?

Query: Hello doctor, This is a request to analyze my MRI report. I would expect detailed guidance with what kind of treatment we have to proceed? What is the prescription for the condition and how long to use the prescribed medication? Please reply with the prescription as soon as possible. Please let me...  Read Full »

What does my knee MRI actually indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I slipped from the bike and hurt my right knee. Though it is causing less pain during normal walk, it is hurting a lot while walking on stairs. I visited an orthopedic surgeon and he told me to take an MRI. The MRI report is as follows. Impression: Grade 3 tear involving the po...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now