Q. Even after a month of ACL and meniscus surgery, I am unable to walk steadily. Please help.

Dr. Nischith
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2021

I have done ACL and meniscus surgery on my right knee a month back. My doctor advised me to avoid removing my knee braces for two weeks. After two weeks, I removed my braces completely and started walking. Now I started doing few exercises on my own. Still, I am not having steady walking and I am unable to put pressure on my leg still now. How much time does it take for me to have a normal walk? Recently, I started taking physiotherapy. I am sitting for a while and standing for a short period of time. My legs cannot resist pain. Kindly suggest.

#

You have undergone ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and meniscus repair a month back. You need to have graded exercise therapy before having a normal walk. Your ACL ligament reconstructed site should not be at abnormal stress for the initial 12 weeks and so your doctor advised to use braces without removing it for two weeks. Depending on the range of knee movements, it is necessary to mobilize you on a graded basis. Initially, you need to strengthen your quadriceps passively, and then it should be followed by an active knee extension. In the second week, you can start doing flexion range of movements passively and then actively. Once your muscle strength becomes optimal, then you can walk.

|