Q. My face looks old because of acne and acne scars. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Vikash Paudel
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am asking questions on behalf of my son. Due to pandemics, we are not allowed to consult a dermatologist in person. But his skin has changed drastically. He is 16 years old and his face looks old. He has dark spots due to acne scarring and so he decided to use Ambi skincare fade cream. He thought it would make wonders on his face. But it caused red, darker, larger spots on the forehead, chin, and sides of the cheek. He left it for few days. After that, he decided to use some home remedies. He found that garlic will fight on dark spots and so he used it on the face. It caused a burning sensation on the face.

On the next day, he had skin irritation. Now, his forehead has wrinkles. He also has some huge dark yellowish and brownish patches on the skin with acne. He has tried using some homemade recipes to lighten the face. But it has not worked. He tried to boost melanin and collagen. But there are no good results. Now he is using anti-wrinkle cream. He cannot see any good results and his skin is getting worse. I have told him to give some time for the skin. Kindly suggest.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Acne occurs commonly in teenagers. They appear and disappear with age. They occur due to sebum production from the oil glands present in the face. It blocks the oil tract present on the surface of the skin. It gets aggravated by oily cosmetics and bacteria. Treatment depends on the grade of acne. For mild ones, you can use simple creams and gels made of vitamin A derivative, and few antibiotics can be taken. In higher grades, you can take oral medication with topical ones.

In severe grades, you can use oral vitamin A derivatives like Isotretinoin. It seems that your son has dark spots due to acne. Please mention whether he has pigmentation and scars. Try to protect the skin from sunlight. Your son can use sunscreen gel with SPF (sun protection factor) more than 30. He can use a cream containing alpha hydroxy acid with any acid. It must be used in low quantity. He can use Retinoic acid with AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) at bedtime. He can use Kojic acid and Glycolic acid combination cream at night.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

.. common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many...   Read full

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

.. social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne .. ...   Read full

How can I remove dark patches due to jock itch?

.. the skin usually heal with hyperpigmentation. This post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is tough to resolve and would take years to go completely. However, creams containing Kojic acid do help to quicken the recovery twice daily for three months. ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.