Q. My face looks old because of acne and acne scars. Please help.

Dr. Vikash Paudel
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2020

Hello, due to the pandemic I'm not allowed to visit a dermatologist in person. But my skin has changed for the worse drastically. Im a 16 year old student, but my face now looks old because of the following:

So I had some dark spots cause from acne scaring and I decided to use the "AMBI skincare fade cream" which I thought would work wonders but it left a red, darker, larger spot on my forehead, chin, and sides of cheeks. So I let it be for a few days and it was still the same, so then I decided to look u some home remedies, and I found that garlic not only fights acne, which I have on top of the scaring (which looks horrible) but it also fights dark patches, so I applied that on my face and it burnt... A LOT, but I thought that the burning sensation must mean that its working its magic but, noo. the next day my skin was irritated, and red. Now fast forward to today ( almost a month and a half before the incident) my forehead is wrinkly (but it could also be thin forehead hairs) (oh also my forehead was affected the most, because I put the majority of garlic on that area of my face ). I have huge drak- yellowish, brownish patches all over my skin, plus some acne. Ive TRIED homemade recipes to lighten your face, but they haven't been working, then I tried boosting my melanin, and collagen, but still nothing, and now I'm using anti wrinkle cream, but from doing all of these things I don't see any results, heck I actually see it getting worse, My mom told me to give it time, but I'm not sure that would be the best approach. Please help me.

Dr. Vikash Paudel

Dermatology
#

Hey

Acne are common in teen ages in most if the people. They should not be much disturbed. They appear and slowly disappear with age. They are due to excessive sebum production from the oil gland in your face along with blockade of thise oil tract into the surface of skin aggravated by oily cosmetics and bactetia.

The treatment depends upon the grade of acne.

For mild ones we use simple creams and gels made up if vitamin a derivatives and few antibiotics whereas in highet grade you need otal meducation plus those topical ones. But in severe grade we use oral vitamin za derivative like isotretinoin.

It seems you have dark spot diue to acne. Is it only pigmentation or you do have scars as well?

Whatever it be, protect the skin from sunlight as much as possible , can use sunscreen gel spf 30+. The medicine you hzve been using contains alpha hydroxy acid which coul be anyacid. They must be spplied in low quantity.

I prefer to use retenoic acid along with AHA at bedtime.

You cab use kojic acid and glycolic avud combonation at night which vould ve available in cream. Please send me your photo and solve my prior query.

|