Q. Other than laser, is there a way to treat acne marks?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Mar 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having acne since one month. I am currently applying Epiduo gel at night. Now, my acne is calming down. I am using sunscreen at daytime. But, after clearing of pimples, my face becomes red. I am currently using Retino-A .025% on scars. Does Retino-A reduce red marks? Or should I go for Glycolic peels? Can I take peels at home? Or is there any other way than laser to treat red marks? Doctor please guide me on this. I have attached the pictures for your reference.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have reviewed the attached photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I can appreciate multiple scars on your face. You should continue with Epiduo gel (combination of Adapalene and Benzoyl peroxide) and sunscreen, so that the pimples are treated at the earliest and do not leave scars.
  • You should try to increase the concentration of Retino-A (Tretinoin) from 0.025 percent to 0.05 percent. So, it will become more effective in dealing with your problem. But, be cautious; increased concentration can lead to irritation as well.
  • Glycolic peels will not be much effective in removal of scars.
  • Apart from laser treatment you can consider going for microneedling sessions. Multiple sittings are required after every three to four weeks but it helps in reducing 60 to 70 percentage scars.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can moisturizer calm down my red pigmented skin? If so, which moisturizer can I use? I am having breakouts only in one area. How to get it treated? Can dermarollers be effective for scars, red marks and large pores? My pores are big around the cheeks. How to minimize it? How to fade my black marks? I have attached pictures for your reference. Kindly review it and guide me to get bright skin.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• For breakouts, take tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for three consecutive days in a week for six weeks along with application of Epiduo gel.
  • You can go for dermarollers for scars, pores and marks. But, it has to be used once your acne settles and no new pimples appear.
  • You can go for Salicylic acid peels now for reduction of pimples as well marks.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Which medicine should I take for patchy beard?

Query: Hi doctor, Actually, my skin tone is medium and is very oily. I want to have a white and fair skin tone. I also want to get rid of this oily skin. I have been taking Omega 3 capsules for two months as someone told me that it will help me for my skin, but I did not notice any changes. Now, one of my ...  Read Full »

Can oil massage cause acne on the lower back?

Query: Hello doctor, So I never had acne on the back, maybe one or two single, but after visiting this massage center, which I know was a big mistake, my lower back is full of acne. I tried a couple of ointments, did not work. Cortisone helped a little, but not really. I think I need oral back up, any sug...  Read Full »

I have been suffering from body acne since 10 years.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from body acne since 10 years. It is present on my upper arms, shoulders, back and buttocks. I have been using Benzoyl peroxide 5% since 6 months. But there has been no effect at all.  Read Full »