Q. Should I take oral retinoids to get rid of my acne scars?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 25, 2021

I consulted you through video consultation about acne problems. I got the tests that you requested, and I have attached my reports. Please comment.

#

I have seen the reports and the attached photographs of your acne (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), but from the photographs and grading your acne lesions, I do not find an indication for you to start on oral Retinoids as there is no need of such a strong medication in your case.

What you have are acne scars, and the acne you have can be managed otherwise. There are different cosmetic procedures that can be considered for these scars.

1) Chemical Peeling.

2) Laser treatments.

3) PRP (platelet-rich plasma).

4) Microdermabrasion.

These procedures would give you sooner results and would be more beneficial and safer than oral Retinoids for your acne. Along with the treatment of acne scars, these procedures can also help with the overall facial complexion and texture of the skin.

You can continue the topical medications I have suggested from the previous consultation until the procedure you choose after meeting a cosmetologist.

I hope this was helpful.

Are there any cream or serum to reduce the appearance of scars? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Your scars are a bit deep-seated. Topical creams may not work for those as they would not be that effective. You can try any of the mentioned cosmetic procedures after a cosmetologist has observed your skin closely.

I hope this was helpful.

|