Q. Are topical and oral medicines a must for acne treatment?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Feb 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 12, 2019

I have been suffering from acne since one month, mainly it is cystic acne. I have always had this issue on and off, but this time it is painful and new acne keeps coming. The scar too takes long time to go. I have been using the over-the-counter Benzoyl peroxide face wash, Benzoyl peroxide 10%, and Tretinoin 0.025%, for the past 3 weeks. Doctor suggested me to take Aldactone oral medicine. Can the acne get treated with topical medicine or oral medicine or both? Also, please let me know the medicines.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have gone through your history and seen the attached photographs (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

According to me, you need both oral as well as topical medication to treat acne.

Continue with the face wash but Benzoyl peroxide 10 percent is too strong for the face. Instead use Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel on the pimples in the morning and Adapalene gel on the pimples at night.

Along with this take a course of Azithromycin 500 mg daily on 3 consecutive days in a week for at least 4-6 weeks.

This is the mildest oral drug used in acne treatment and hope it works in your case. I do not know whether these drugs will be available over-the-counter in your country.

Besides this keep your face dry, avoid applying cream or moisturizer, avoid oiling of the scalp and reduce the intake of sugary foods. You can continue this treatment for six weeks and then revert back to me. Wish you speedy recovery.

1. Seborrhea.
2. Hormonal imbalance.

Acne vulgaris.

| 

Which medicine can be used to get rid of chicken-pox scars?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. I had chicken pox before one and a half month. After the chicken box was gone, I had some scars. So I went to a dermatologist to give me a medicine to clear the scars, he gave me new gel E. I had some pimples on my forehead so he advised and wrote for me a face wash...  Read Full »

Shall I take Azithromycin for chest congestion and cold?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and I weigh 55 kg. l am having chest congestion and cold. The doctor prescribed me Azithromycin 500 mg for three days and Levocetirizine. I am asthmatic. I am also taking Foracort 400 twice a day whenever I have a breathing problem. My symptoms are not impr...  Read Full »

How to get my acne scars removed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. My height is 158 cm and my weight is 50 kg. I have severe acne scars on my face, back, lower back and below the neck. I have pimples on my face. I am using Benzoyl peroxide for the same. I have attached my photos here. My problems also include hair fall, thinnin...  Read Full »