Q. How can these boils on my face be treated?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

I am a 31-year-old female. For the past one month, I have got these boils on my face. Ten years ago, I had the same issue and got treated. It is a kind of acne that is what the doctor had diagnosed at that time.

At present, I do not take any medications for the same.These are the same kind of boils that I have been getting on my shoulders too and they are brown in color and not skin color. In the past, I used to apply Clear Gel, Sofradex and Cetaphil face wash and had been prescribed two other medicines. I have attached pictures for your reference.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw your clinical pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

You have lots of closed comedones on your forehead. Yes, it is acne.

There are two types of comedones. They are closed comedones nothing but whiteheads and the other are open comedones which are the blackheads.

Closed comedones should be removed, we call it comedone extraction. For this procedure, you need to meet your dermatologist.

The one near your right lower eyelid in the picture looks like milia. The picture is not very much clear, hence I have mentioned it "looks like.".

A milium is a cyst, forms around eyes because of friction and rubbing. It appears whitish in color.

It can be removed the same way as closed comedones or it can be closed comedones with enhancement of light on picture making it look like milia.

Comedone extraction is the best treatment until you visit your dermatologist for this procedure.

I suggest you start using Deriva-Cms (Adapalene Topical, Clindamycin Topical) MS gel for these comedones in the evening

You should apply a very little quantity like the size of a pinhead. You should apply only on the top of each comedone at 7 p.m.

Make sure it does not touch the skin. Wash your face at 10 p.m. before sleeping.

Acne can be seen on shoulders, chest, arms as well. You have acne on your shoulders, which is leaving pigmentation. Use Deriva-Cms gel on shoulders also.

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser face wash, wash your face four times a day.

I would like to suggest a few skin care tips here too.

Do not touch your comedone. It will leave pigmentation and scar.

Use good sunscreen on the face for 30 minutes before going out in sun.

Do not use oil for scalp before taking bath, you can use oil after bath.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Can the comedone extraction be done in one sitting?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Comedone extraction is a simple procedure.

Yes, all can be removed in one sitting, though it would take 30 to 45 minutes.

I do at least two to three such procedures a day.

|