Q. I am getting acne along the jawline and cheeks. Is that due to hormonal changes?

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

I had this acne situation for the past three months. I am not sure of the cause. It started from the side jawline till the cheeks, and it got worse. I tried Benzoyl peroxide and it only helps to control but does not get well, and the skin got dried. Is it a hormonal change? What can I do? I am depressed for a year. Kindly advice.

#

Acne along the jawline and lower face can indeed be an indicator of hormonal imbalance. Do you have any menstrual irregularities, or facial hair growth or recent weight gain? I would appreciate if you send me the photograph to assess the severity and nature of your acne.

Use the following medications after consulting your treating doctor.

1. Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg three days per week, for three consecutive days.

2. Use Adapalene plus Clindamycin gel. Apply once at night on acne in little amount without rubbing it and wash after one hour.

3. Use Benzoyl peroxide face wash.

Do this for three weeks.

Menstruation is still pretty and on time. No facial hair growth everything is fine, except the breakouts.

#

1. Yes, they look like Acne vulgaris, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) the common form of acne, rather than the hormonal one.

2. Use the second and third numbered medication as above. Replace the first one with the following one Capsule Doxycycline 100 mg once at night one hour before dinner for three weeks.

You might need Isotretinoin which is the next step if required, for that you need to get subsequent investigations done meanwhile.

A. Fasting lipid profile.

B. LFT (liver function test).

And avoid squeezing the acne, it might leave the pigmentation.

Take care.

So in the meantime shall I try all these? Should I avoid any food items?

#

1. Yes, you start these medications for now.

2. Isotretinoin is used when other medications are not working as desired, or acne is very severe.

3. Foods to avoid in acne vulgaris are any food with a high glycemic index including sweets, chocolates, cakes and particularly avoid full cream milk, or avoid any form of milk if possible as it has been found to have a direct correlation with the severity of acne.

|