Q. I am getting acne along the jawline and cheeks. Is that due to hormonal changes?

Dr. Dilip Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 29, 2019

I had this acne situation for the past three months. I am not sure of the cause. It started from the side jawline till the cheeks, and it got worse. I tried Benzoyl peroxide and it only helps to control but does not get well, and the skin got dried. Is it a hormonal change? What can I do? I am depressed for a year. Kindly advice.

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatology Venereology
#

Acne along the jawline and lower face can indeed be an indicator of hormonal imbalance. Do you have any menstrual irregularities, or facial hair growth or recent weight gain? I would appreciate if you send me the photograph to assess the severity and nature of your acne.

Use the following medications after consulting your treating doctor.

1. Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg three days per week, for three consecutive days.

2. Use Adapalene plus Clindamycin gel. Apply once at night on acne in little amount without rubbing it and wash after one hour.

3. Use Benzoyl peroxide face wash.

Do this for three weeks.

Menstruation is still pretty and on time. No facial hair growth everything is fine, except the breakouts.

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatology Venereology
#

1. Yes, they look like Acne vulgaris, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) the common form of acne, rather than the hormonal one.

2. Use the second and third numbered medication as above. Replace the first one with the following one Capsule Doxycycline 100 mg once at night one hour before dinner for three weeks.

You might need Isotretinoin which is the next step if required, for that you need to get subsequent investigations done meanwhile.

A. Fasting lipid profile.

B. LFT (liver function test).

And avoid squeezing the acne, it might leave the pigmentation.

Take care.

So in the meantime shall I try all these? Should I avoid any food items?

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatology Venereology
#

1. Yes, you start these medications for now.

2. Isotretinoin is used when other medications are not working as desired, or acne is very severe.

3. Foods to avoid in acne vulgaris are any food with a high glycemic index including sweets, chocolates, cakes and particularly avoid full cream milk, or avoid any form of milk if possible as it has been found to have a direct correlation with the severity of acne.

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

I have been suffering from body acne since 10 years.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from body acne since 10 years. It is present on my upper arms, shoulders, back and buttocks. I have been using Benzoyl peroxide 5% since 6 months. But there has been no effect at all.  Read Full »

After starting Isotretinoin, my facial hair has increased. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am female of 25 years old. My weight is 58 kg and height is 5'3". I am suffering from acne problem for the past 5 years. I tried many antibiotics. Now, I am on Isotretinoin for more than a month and it has really cleared my acne. But, my facial hair has increased. Will it become worse i...  Read Full »