Q. After starting Isotretinoin, my facial hair has increased. What to do?

Published on Dec 03, 2016

I am female of 25 years old. My weight is 58 kg and height is 5'3". I am suffering from acne problem for the past 5 years. I tried many antibiotics. Now, I am on Isotretinoin for more than a month and it has really cleared my acne. But, my facial hair has increased. Will it become worse if I continue Isotretinoin? After the completion of Isotretinoin course, will I get acne again? If it comes back, what will be the intensity? Please explain in detail.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

Isotretinoin has no effect on facial hair. An increase in the facial hair can be attributed to either hormonal abnormality or topical steroid abuse.

Isotretinoin must be continued in tapering doses for at least six months.

You need to go for a hormonal evaluation by ultrasound abdomen in order to rule out PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease), which is a common source of ectopic hormone.

You also need to undergo serum testosterone, FSH and LH ratio (follicle stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone) and serum DHEAS (dehydroepiandrosterone).

Also, make sure that you are not taking steroid in any form that is neither topical nor oral.

Revert back with the reports to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

My sister's report shows 46, XY chromosome. What does this mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 18 years old, and she has never had periods. Recently, we did a test which said, 46, XY (20), 20 cells were counted, all cells showed 46 chromosomes. Small chromosomal anomalies and small clonal population may not be detected using the standard methods employed. Could you pl...  Read Full »

Are swollen breast and less facial hair signs of infertility?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. My weight is 65 kg and height is 5'5". I am having enlarged breast and very less facial hair. Will this lead to infertility? I am not taking any medicine. I have consulted an endocrinologist regarding this. He examined my chest and suggested me to get a hormon...  Read Full »