Q. I am having terrible acne issues since my teenage. Can I take Isotretinoin?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Acne or Management Of Acne? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 28 year old male, having terrible acne issues since my teenage. Now I am married and a father of a child, and I still have pimples all the time. I have been treated for acne for many years. Some of the doctors suggested me to take Doxycycline 20 mg daily for 3 months. It delayed the appearance of pimples but did not stop them. Then, I moved on and got help from another skin specialist. He treated me and gave me soap and face wash. He also gave me another antibiotic called Azithromycin 500 mg for 3 days in a week for about 2 months. He also gave me topical creams (Deriva-CMS, Adapalene microspheres, Clindamycin phosphate gel). But the same thing happened again. The acne eruption stopped only for a few months when I was taking medicines, and after that, it started coming back.

These pimples are also seen in my back. But now, only very few pimples are left in my back. I guess due to all these medications it has reduced but not permanently gone. I heard about Isotretinoin medication which is also an option for acne, but I have not tried it. I am really suffering from acne issues for quite a long time. Please help me get rid of this.