Q. I have acne since the age of 13. Kindly get me a solution.

Dr. Charu Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

I am a 27 year old female. I am getting acne since the age of 13. I have asthma. No product has worked on my face. I have sensitive oily skin. Kindly advice some solution.

Dr. Charu Bansal

Cosmetology Dermatology
#

I have read your query and I understand your concern.

• Acne has several grades depending on the type of lesions.
  • In grade 1, I prefer to advise topical Clindamycin in the morning and Benzoyl peroxide alternatively with topical retinoids in the night-time.
  • Oral antibiotics are also given like Doxycycline or Minocycline or Azithromycin in grade 2-4 acne.
  • Avoid hair oil application and oily food in the diet.
  • In responding cases, consideration is given to start oral retinoids.
  • Kindly upload the images, so that I can actually visualize the lesions and advice you to my best. Also, mention the details of treatment you have already taken.

Revert back with the images to a dermatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I met a dermatologist and he prescribed Acne Out cream and soap which made it worst. So, I started using Oriflame Bioclinic that contains Salicylic acid and Centella. I am recently using Clean and Clear cleanser 0.5% Salicylic morning and night. I am using baby soap and Clearasil for face which has neither Salicylic nor Benzoyl peroxide. How long does it take to see the effect of a drug?

Dr. Charu Bansal

Cosmetology Dermatology
#

• I could appreciate better if you could have attached close up photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your face for perfect view.
  • Still, I guess it as grade 2 acne. In such cases, as I mentioned I prefer to advice oral antibiotics like Doxycycline or Minocycline or Azithromycin.
  • You may apply Clindamycin gel in the morning and Benzoyl peroxide alternatively with topical retinoids in night-time.
  • You can continue to use face wash.
  • It usually takes three to four weeks at least before any positive effects of medications are seen.
  • I will advise you to visit your doctor and share my opinion with him. 

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you so much for the message. I have bought 1% Clindamycin phosphate gel and Doxycycline 100 mg capsule but I only got 5% Benzoyl peroxide cream. What dose should I take? Will the strength of Benzoyl peroxide be too harsh? It is the only concentration I could get. Thanks.

Dr. Charu Bansal

Cosmetology Dermatology
#

• Benzoyl peroxide 5% is strong. It may cause irritation of skin. If you have bought, then you may try it. But, preferably wash it off in 15-20 minutes before you sleep.
  • Slowly day by day just increase the time of leaving the medication on face. Clindamycin gel you can apply in the morning.
  • Capsule Doxycycline is prescribed depending on the body weight of the patient. The usual dose is 100-200 mg per day in an adult person.
  • It is contraindicated in pregnancy, breast feeding females and in those allergic to Tetracycline group of medications. It is a prescription drug. You better consult your doctor before you take it.
  • Avoid oily food and hair oil application.

|