Q. I have acne since the age of 13. Kindly get me a solution.

Dr. Charu Bansal

I am a 27 year old female. I am getting acne since the age of 13. I have asthma. No product has worked on my face. I have sensitive oily skin. Kindly advice some solution.

Do you have a question on Acne or Acne Vulgaris?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Charu Bansal

MBBS., MD DERMATOLOGY
Cosmetology Dermatology

I have read your query and I understand your concern.

• Acne has several grades depending on the type of lesions.
  • In grade 1, I prefer to advise topical Clindamycin in the morning and Benzoyl peroxide alternatively with topical retinoids in the night-time.
  • Oral antibiotics are also given like Doxycycline or Minocycline or Azithromycin in grade 2-4 acne.
  • Avoid hair oil application and oily food in the diet.
  • In responding cases, consideration is given to start oral retinoids.
  • Kindly upload the images, so that I can actually visualize the lesions and advice you to my best. Also, mention the details of treatment you have already taken.

Revert back with the images to a dermatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I met a dermatologist and he prescribed Acne Out cream and soap which made it worst. So, I started using Oriflame Bioclinic that contains Salicylic acid and Centella. I am recently using Clean and Clear cleanser 0.5% Salicylic morning and night. I am using baby soap and Clearasil for face which has neither Salicylic nor Benzoyl peroxide. How long does it take to see the effect of a drug?

Dr. Charu Bansal

MBBS., MD DERMATOLOGY
Cosmetology Dermatology

• I could appreciate better if you could have attached close up photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your face for perfect view.
  • Still, I guess it as grade 2 acne. In such cases, as I mentioned I prefer to advice oral antibiotics like Doxycycline or Minocycline or Azithromycin.
  • You may apply Clindamycin gel in the morning and Benzoyl peroxide alternatively with topical retinoids in night-time.
  • You can continue to use face wash.
  • It usually takes three to four weeks at least before any positive effects of medications are seen.
  • I will advise you to visit your doctor and share my opinion with him. 

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you so much for the message. I have bought 1% Clindamycin phosphate gel and Doxycycline 100 mg capsule but I only got 5% Benzoyl peroxide cream. What dose should I take? Will the strength of Benzoyl peroxide be too harsh? It is the only concentration I could get. Thanks.

Dr. Charu Bansal

MBBS., MD DERMATOLOGY
Cosmetology Dermatology

• Benzoyl peroxide 5% is strong. It may cause irritation of skin. If you have bought, then you may try it. But, preferably wash it off in 15-20 minutes before you sleep.
  • Slowly day by day just increase the time of leaving the medication on face. Clindamycin gel you can apply in the morning.
  • Capsule Doxycycline is prescribed depending on the body weight of the patient. The usual dose is 100-200 mg per day in an adult person.
  • It is contraindicated in pregnancy, breast feeding females and in those allergic to Tetracycline group of medications. It is a prescription drug. You better consult your doctor before you take it.
  • Avoid oily food and hair oil application.

Top 10 Questions on Acne

Article Overview: Acne vulgaris or what is commonly known as pimples starts in teens. It leads to the lowering of self-esteem, decreased work capacity and some form of permanent scarring. There is a huge misinformation among parents and patients about the disease, thus leaving them perplexed as to how to deal with it. In this article, I have gathered the top 10 questions on acne to help both parents as well as patients to guide them to make informed choices on the issue. These, however, are general guidelines and patients are advised to consult a qualified dermatologist for treatment. Read Article

Dr. Abdul Samieh Deva

What Is Acne? Acne is a disorder of pilosebaceous unit found in the skin. Sebaceous gland is often associated with a hair follicle and is known as a pilosebaceous unit. The most important lesion in acne is a comedone. Besides, papules, pustules, and nodules are also found. In common terms, these ar...  Read Article

What can I take for bacterial infection in my gums?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a bacterial infection in my gums because of my wisdom teeth coming in. I have taken Clindamycin and Motrin but it does not work.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gum infection can be due to a number of reasons like tooth infection or cavity, abscess, etc. If Clindamycin is not working, I suggest taking Amoxicillin 500 mg twice daily for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medi...  Read Full

What Is Acne Vulgaris?

Article Overview: Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Read Article

Dr. Rabia

Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Some individuals have an inherent tendency of having hyperactive sebaceous glands, this is one of the risk fact...  Read Article

Ask a Doctor Now