Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My face has broken out worse than before. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Kakkar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am an 18 year old female. My face is heavily broken out worse than ever before with patches of flaking and peeling of skin over the oily areas. I have had acne since the age of 9, and have had psoriasis since I was 7 which tends to appear on my face during winter and on the rest of my body year round. I wash my face twice a day and drink the right amount of water. My skin has never been this bad and I was wondering what may have set it off.



Welcome to

I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You have inflammatory acne (moderate to severe grade). The flakiness over the oily skin zone is perhaps due to associated seborrheic dermatitis or sebopsoriasis.

You would require oral antibiotics like Doxycycline or Minocycline. In addition, I suggest you try using topical Clindamycin and Benzoyl peroxide gel.

I would also like to rule out a hormonal etiology such as PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) as the reason for your acne. If found, you may have to be on monthly hormonal pills.

For flakiness over the oily skin zones, you may use cortisone cream twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a dermatologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Adult Acne: A Common Problem

Acne is very common in the teenage group ... But, when we have acne as an adult, it is very frustrating ...   Read full

Can Cotaryl cream be used to cure dry and flaky skin (Ichthyosis)?

Hi doctor,

How to cure "hard breath" while performing activity? Give me some tips in yoga.

  Read full

Kindly advise treatment for acne and oily skin.

Hi doctor,

How to cure "hard breath" while performing activity? Give me some tips in yoga.

  Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Area between thigh and abdomen is dark. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, The joint area between my thigh and abdomen has become darker than the normal skin tone. The skin texture has also changed and itches a lot. When I scratch in the dry condition, flake-like particles come out of it. I am not sure whether it is a fungal infection or something else. It i...  Read Full »

Which medicine can be used to get rid of chicken-pox scars?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. I had chicken pox before one and a half month. After the chicken box was gone, I had some scars. So I went to a dermatologist to give me a medicine to clear the scars, he gave me new gel E. I had some pimples on my forehead so he advised and wrote for me a face wash...  Read Full »

I underwent skin peeling treatment for acne but it was of no help. What to do?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 26 year old female (height-5'3'' & weight-57kg). I underwent skin peeling treatment for acne. And I am taking tablet Azee 500mg thrice a week. But, acne is still persistent. Kindly help me with this situation.  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As content published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.