Q. My face has broken out worse than before. Please help.

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Sep 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am an 18 year old female. My face is heavily broken out worse than ever before with patches of flaking and peeling of skin over the oily areas. I have had acne since the age of 9, and have had psoriasis since I was 7 which tends to appear on my face during winter and on the rest of my body year round. I wash my face twice a day and drink the right amount of water. My skin has never been this bad and I was wondering what may have set it off.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You have inflammatory acne (moderate to severe grade). The flakiness over the oily skin zone is perhaps due to associated seborrheic dermatitis or sebopsoriasis.

You would require oral antibiotics like Doxycycline or Minocycline. In addition, I suggest you try using topical Clindamycin and Benzoyl peroxide gel.

I would also like to rule out a hormonal etiology such as PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) as the reason for your acne. If found, you may have to be on monthly hormonal pills.

For flakiness over the oily skin zones, you may use cortisone cream twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Area between thigh and abdomen is dark. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, The joint area between my thigh and abdomen has become darker than the normal skin tone. The skin texture has also changed and itches a lot. When I scratch in the dry condition, flake-like particles come out of it. I am not sure whether it is a fungal infection or something else. It i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thigh folds and armpits are usually little dark compared to normal skin tone. This is because of constant friction, sweating, and hormonal influence. If you are really worried about skin tone in that area there are few medications which can help like Kojic acid cream...  Read Full

Which medicine can be used to get rid of chicken-pox scars?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. I had chicken pox before one and a half month. After the chicken box was gone, I had some scars. So I went to a dermatologist to give me a medicine to clear the scars, he gave me new gel E. I had some pimples on my forehead so he advised and wrote for me a face wash...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gauri Kshirsagar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Acne is a very common condition occurring in teenage years due to hormonal changes. There is no need to worry or be embarrassed by it. Chances are that even after treatment you may get another bout of acne. It will reduce with age.  Read Full

I underwent skin peeling treatment for acne but it was of no help. What to do?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 26 year old female (height-5'3'' & weight-57kg). I underwent skin peeling treatment for acne. And I am taking tablet Azee 500mg thrice a week. But, acne is still persistent. Kindly help me with this situation.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vasanthi Senthil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Take tablet Ascazin 1---0---0 x 15 days. Wash your face thrice a day. Apply DERIVA-C gel over the acne lesions. Take hair wash thrice a week. Do not oil your hair.  Consult a dermatologist online after 15 days for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-d...  Read Full