Q. My skin is oily with the problem of acne, dark spots and scars. Kindly give some advice.

Dr. Gauri Kshirsagar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2019

I am having acne and oily skin for the past four years. It comes as hereditary. It leaves spots, scars, and holes on face. This problem appears majorly in humid weather conditions. I am currently on homeopathic treatment.

#

Acne or pimples is a very common condition seen in the teenage years and early twenties due to the hormonal changes occurring in your body. There is no need to worry about it. Even if it does reduce, the chances are that you may get another bout of acne over your face. Hence it is more important that you avoid fiddling or pressing the lesions since it will leave scars and pigmentation, which takes a long time to go. Acne treatment is usually given according to the grade of acne you have, which can range from Grade I (mild) to Grade 4 (very severe). Also, the treatment varies from topical cream applications, chemical peeling, dermabrasion, and in severe cases, oral medications.

As you have not mentioned the area involved over the face and types of lesions (e.g., blackheads or red spots or pustules) I will suggest the following treatment for the time being:

1) Adapalene and benzoyl peroxide gel, to be applied over the pimples in a pea-size amount at night. Stop if there are any redness and irritation.

2) Do use a good moisturizer if there is any dryness.

3) For pigmentation or dark spots, you can use a depigmenting cream containing kojic acid over the spots at night.

4) Scars treatment can be only suggested after looking at the scars.

Do follow up with good clear photographs of the lesions for a better solution.

|