Q. My skin is oily with the problem of acne, dark spots and scars. Kindly give some advice.

Answered by
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Oct 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am having acne and oily skin for the past four years. It comes as hereditary. It leaves spots, scars, and holes on face. This problem appears majorly in humid weather conditions. I am currently on homeopathic treatment.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Acne or pimples is a very common condition seen in the teenage years and early twenties due to the hormonal changes occurring in your body. There is no need to worry about it. Even if it does reduce, the chances are that you may get another bout of acne over your face. Hence it is more important that you avoid fiddling or pressing the lesions since it will leave scars and pigmentation, which takes a long time to go. Acne treatment is usually given according to the grade of acne you have, which can range from Grade I (mild) to Grade 4 (very severe). Also, the treatment varies from topical cream applications, chemical peeling, dermabrasion, and in severe cases, oral medications.

As you have not mentioned the area involved over the face and types of lesions (e.g., blackheads or red spots or pustules) I will suggest the following treatment for the time being:

1) Adapalene and benzoyl peroxide gel, to be applied over the pimples in a pea-size amount at night. Stop if there are any redness and irritation.

2) Do use a good moisturizer if there is any dryness.

3) For pigmentation or dark spots, you can use a depigmenting cream containing kojic acid over the spots at night.

4) Scars treatment can be only suggested after looking at the scars.

Do follow up with good clear photographs of the lesions for a better solution.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

What can I do to overcome oily face?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I am facing a few issues for which I seek your help. I have oily face, but a very dry body skin. Please advise what I can do to overcome this. I stay in a joint family and as a result have to masturbate very privately most of the times. Also, most of the times I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to reply it in pointwise: Oily face is the nature of the skin. It is very difficult to cure it permanently. But, you can try the following tips. Do not use hair oil or any sticky cream on face. Avoid oily food, chocolate, milk products, dust and use sunscree...  Read Full

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full >>

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I see two problems in your history. Let me tell you the reason and solution. Birth control pills come in a pack of 21 or 21 active plus seven dummy pills, or the single dose of an emergency contraceptive pill. Whichever you take, will suppres...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.