Q. Why do antibiotics clear acne?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

Why do antibiotics clear acne? Is bacteria the cause of acne? Please explain.

#

I have read your query.

• Change in keratinization pattern in pilosebaceous unit, which leads to a keratinous material to cause blocking of sebum secretion leads to comedone formation.
  • These comedones plugging and complex interaction between androgens and bacteria in the plugged pilosebaceous units leads to inflammation. This is the reason for using antibiotics for the management of acne along with medicine like retinoids (Adapalene or Isotretinoin) for maintaining keratinization.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|