Q. I experience visual problems after an acoustic trauma. What could be the cause?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Two months ago, I suffered an acoustic trauma after a loud microsuction in my ears to remove ear wax. It left me with tinnitus, hyperacusis, and aural fullness. This settled after a few weeks. Later after two and a half weeks, my wisdom tooth got triggered, and my gums were swollen. This settled, and I saw my dentist. At the same time, my eye on that side blurred. Since then, my eyes have been blurry and dry, and I feel it is worsening.

I have had eye tests got glasses for astigmatism.

R +0.50 SPH - 1.00 CYL and 170.0 axes.

L +0.25 SPH and CYL is - 0.75 and axis is 10.0.

I got glasses a few days ago, and I struggle to adjust a bit. Although they seem clearer, I feel disorientated and the good eye seems worse and dips in and out. Compared to a week ago, the good eye appears more blurry and blurred around the edges and corners even when removing glasses. I am sensitive to lights and sometimes slight ghosting, especially around brighter images and words. I have seen an ophthalmologist too and had my retina checked.

I have not had any CT scan or MRI yet as my noise trauma has affected me. Loud noises trigger me more, but I do want one. Eyes seem more blurry all the time, and from the corner, the peripheral vision in one seems more blurred.

I feel terrified. I do not know what to do. Any clues or suggestions on what is going on with me?

#

Visual change after noise blast seems an infrequent and unlikely event. Please answer the following questions so that I can help you better.

1) How is your hearing now?

2) Have you done any hearing tests recently?

3) Do you have vertigo?

4) Is there any spinning or swaying sensation?

5) Do you still have tinnitus?

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for the reply.

The visual change has indeed happened, and I am petrified I have got damaged internally.

I have had hearing tests, and the results are all within normal ranges. Yes, I still have tinnitus, and sometimes it feels slightly worse.

There was slight swaying. I do not know what is causing eye problems, and also I have some double vision. Never had any of this before.

What if this noise blast has affected nerves inside the nervous system, cells and tissues? I have seen an ophthalmologist, and my eyes seem fine, but this has been going on since the event.

Please help.

#

If the audiometry results are within normal limits, then it is not possible that there is any damage in OAE (otoacoustic emission) or ABR (auditory brainstem response). This is presuming you have a normal pure tone audiogram in both ears. I suggest you check with a gadolinium-enhanced contrast MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan of the brain with particular attention to the orbit, optic nerves, retrocochlear area, cerebellopontine angle, and inner ear nerve bundle. This can give us more details.

Thanks and regards.

|