Acromioclavicular Ligament

Should I get autograft or allograft for AC joint surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my AC joint separated while mountain biking. It is grade 5. I am getting surgery and I want to know whether I should use an autograft (hamstring) or allograft from a cadaver. I am very active in outdoor adventures and sports. Thanks for your help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Goel

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your injury. The good news is that there are many modalities available for AC joint injuries (acromioclavicular joint), which are showing promising results. Type five injuries constitute tears of the two important ligaments in the shoulder regions...  Read Full »

Will there be re-tearing of acromioclavicular joint after surgery using cadaver tendon?

Query: Hello doctor, How likely is it to re-tear (or re-separate) the acromioclavicular joint after surgery was performed on it with a cadaver tendon? It has been a year and a half post surgery. He was lifting 50 lbs overhead, wind pushed equipment back, causing loud popping in left shoulder (previously ...  Read Full »

Dr. Medhun Kumar

General Practitioner, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a high likely chance since you are symptomatic (pain and swelling). Subjecting to vigorous exercise and history of previous surgery adds to the suspicion. It is better you get evaluated and treated earlier. Though cadaver tendons are stronger and it is been 1....  Read Full »

Can I do pull ups again in my life after acromioclavicular joint separation?

Query: Hello doctor, I just had my acromioclavicular joint separation (grade 2 or 3), AC ligament torn. I am ready to accept the recovery time. My question is can I do pull ups again in my life? Or any permanent disability may occur?  Read Full »

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sure the X-ray looks kind of AC joint separation due to the ligament injury. With the image, the injury looks between grade II or III. I will advise you to take the call for the MRI shoulder to focus on the AC joint. This will help us understand the extent of the lig...  Read Full »

Grade 3 dislocation of ACL. Is surgery compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband dislocated his ACL. I would like to get his X-rays evaluated for a second opinion. He was diagnosed with grade III dislocation. Is surgery necessary based on the X-rays attached? What are the risks if he does not operate? How does non-operative treatment compare? How long d...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is clearly acromioclavicular joint injury (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two ligaments which basically keep our ACL joint in position. In type 3 injuries, both ligaments are torn. Now, according to literature, treatment of type 1,2 inju...  Read Full »