Q. High sugar and creatinine levels. What might be the cause?

My mother-in-law is 56 year old. For the past 10 years she is having diabetes. Since 5-6 months, her sugar levels are very high. She is using insulin Actrapid 20 units. Three years back, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Underwent operation, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and cancer is under control with regular checkup and medicines. Current issues are acute colitis, random sugar values mostly higher than 280, high creatinine levels (6.2), hemoglobin (7.2), urea level 170 and vomiting present. Please refer the reports and prescriptions attached. Doctors are suggesting dialysis after 15 days, if creatinine levels remain high. Please suggest few measures to reduce creatinine levels and also recommend proper diet under these conditions. Thank you.

#

• Your mother-in-law has been diagnosed with acute pyelonephritis that is there is infection in the kidneys.
  • Her random blood sugar is also increased, which suggests that insulin dose should be increased. But, that depends on the treating doctor after assessing all her parameters.
  • There is an increased chance of infection in kidneys with high blood sugar levels.
  • For renal diet chart, you should consult a dietician.
  • Generally avoid juice, juicy fruits of all kinds and salt. Avoid non-vegetarian foods, because it contains high amounts of protein which is bad for kidneys.
  • Prefer vegetarian diet with low proteins, avoid foods with high potassium levels like bananas, mushrooms, and yoghurt.
  • Strictly take medication as advised by your treating doctor.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for your reply. Please suggest medicine or ways to lower creatinine levels. Is dialysis required? Kindly suggest.

#

• Your mother-in-law is vomiting, which suggests that increased blood urea may be causing toxic symptoms in her body. So, dialysis should be done as early as possible. But, your treating doctor can guide you better.
  • Some physicians prefer to wait and look for signs of improvement in kidney function with medications. It can be assessed by falling creatinine levels and blood urea levels.
  • Great controversy exists regarding the timing of dialysis, which can be best assessed by your treating physician.
  • Increased creatinine in this case is due to infection in kidney (acute pyelonephritis). So, once the infection is over the creatinine level will come back to normal. You should control her blood sugar. Follow a low potassium diet.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|