Q. I take insulin, but my sugar levels are high. What should I do?

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Dec 09, 2017

How are you? I am a 54 year old male. Nowadays, my sugar level is very high. Every day, I inject 28 units of insulin, 16 units in the morning before food and 12 units in the evening before food. But, my sugar levels are at 255 mg. I want to know if I should increase the shot of insulin. If yes, by how many units?

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

• From your description, it is clear that you need an increase in the dosage of insulin.
  • However, it is also a good idea to reflect on your lifestyle and see if you can make any changes. If you are eating foods that increase blood sugar levels, especially sweets, you have to stop it. If you are physically capable of exercise, I would recommend you take a brisk walk for 45 minutes daily.
  • Having said that, you can definitely increase the dose of insulin. But, this needs to be done only after a clinical evaluation and after looking at the detailed reports of your blood sugar and HbA1c. We neither want any side effects of overtreatment nor do we wish to undertreat you.
  • Hence, I advise you to meet your family physician or diabetologist who can help you achieve better health after a proper examination.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Does Nicotine gums increase blood sugar levels in a diabetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetic. Does chewing nicotine gum will increase sugar level? Does stress in the heart increase the sugar level?  Read Full »

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full »

Is diabetes medicine needed if HbA1c is 7.5?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now