Q. I take insulin, but my sugar levels are high. What should I do?

Dr. Suneetha B S

How are you? I am a 54 year old male. Nowadays, my sugar level is very high. Every day, I inject 28 units of insulin, 16 units in the morning before food and 12 units in the evening before food. But, my sugar levels are at 255 mg. I want to know if I should increase the shot of insulin. If yes, by how many units?

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

• From your description, it is clear that you need an increase in the dosage of insulin.
  • However, it is also a good idea to reflect on your lifestyle and see if you can make any changes. If you are eating foods that increase blood sugar levels, especially sweets, you have to stop it. If you are physically capable of exercise, I would recommend you take a brisk walk for 45 minutes daily.
  • Having said that, you can definitely increase the dose of insulin. But, this needs to be done only after a clinical evaluation and after looking at the detailed reports of your blood sugar and HbA1c. We neither want any side effects of overtreatment nor do we wish to undertreat you.
  • Hence, I advise you to meet your family physician or diabetologist who can help you achieve better health after a proper examination.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|